What good is MapSource?

larryc43230

For years, I used Garmin's MapSource program to manage waypoints and mapping products such as City Navigator North America (various editions) and TOPO U.S. 24K. I used the program to load maps to my 60CSx, and, more recently, my Oregon 550t.

Now I use a combination of BaseCamp and MapInstall to do the same things. It got me to wondering what, if anything, MapSource can do that neither of these newer applications can do. I've seen a couple of claims in this forum that there are reasons to keep MapSource around, but for the life of me, I can't think of any.

I'm not looking for a debate about the relative merits of MapSource vs. BaseCamp (and I'm well aware of the memory and speed problems of the latter), I'm just curious as to whether there's anything that MapSource can do that BaseCamp + MapInstall can't. Anybody?

--Larry

Edit note: just checked out Basecamp and it's from Garmin. So, it should have similar features as MapSource. Will check it out...

Only thing I noticed in viewing the notes for Basecamp for the first time is that it does not support GPS with serial connectivity. I have the 1st gen Vista; so basecamp will not work for me.

Edited by Chuy!

For years, I used Garmin's MapSource program to manage waypoints and mapping products such as City Navigator North America (various editions) and TOPO U.S. 24K. I used the program to load maps to my 60CSx, and, more recently, my Oregon 550t.

Now I use a combination of BaseCamp and MapInstall to do the same things. It got me to wondering what, if anything, MapSource can do that neither of these newer applications can do. I've seen a couple of claims in this forum that there are reasons to keep MapSource around, but for the life of me, I can't think of any.

I'm not looking for a debate about the relative merits of MapSource vs. BaseCamp (and I'm well aware of the memory and speed problems of the latter), I'm just curious as to whether there's anything that MapSource can do that BaseCamp + MapInstall can't. Anybody?

--Larry

You got me, I still use MapSource since I have a couple gps's that are licensed to upload maps that are a couple three yeas out of date. If anything I like the option to load PQs into GSAK and export them into the MS maps just to look around.