Odometer reading on Oregon400

rovers3

I have a Garmin Oregon 400t with the latest beta update.

My problem is as follows, whenever I hike with others who have a Garmin 60? there are a number of different persons, some cachers and some not, my final odometer reading is always less than theirs and their reading seems to correlate with a paper trail map.

For instance last week

day 1 60 26.2km oregon 22.54km

day 2 60 26.0km oregon 22.72km

day 3 60 23.72km oregon 21.85km

day 4 60 30.2km oregon 26.37km

day 6 60 25.5km oregon 22.84km

Day 5 my unit went its own way part way through the hike and was showing a 9.7km/hr moving average with farther distance than the 60. After I rebooted it seemed to settle back in line.

The unit follows the track log I have for the trail and is quite accurate for finding caches.

Any ideas? Is it just my unit or is there something else that is different between how these units track distance travelled?

Thanks

most likely a different algorithm for the odometer. in the recent beta firmwares for the oregon they changed the algorithm around quite a few times, and probably will do so a few more times too. maybe it's just slightly botched in the current beta.