Oregon 450 Tracking

N-Gang

I'd like to use a GPS to track my hiking/biking routes over multiple days without the posibility of downloading the data. How many hours can the unit track.

From the specs I know that the track log has 10,000 points and 200 tracks. But I don't know if my math is correct:

10,000 points @ 1point /second = 2h 46 minutes. So I can log a 555.5 hours. The total tracking size then isn't to bad but does it automatically start the next track when the current one is full?

yes there's different record rates, either going by distance, time or "auto" with 5 different "auto" settings. it records far less than 1 point per second by default, so a single track can cover a long time and long distance. plus, it does automatically archive the current tracklog when the memory gets full. with the newer beta firmwares, you also have the option of always archiving the current tracklog once per day, thus clearing it out every day.

Thanks, that help a little. Still would be nice to know how long I can track a hike/bike ride if I go for multiple days.

I also found http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Tracks specifically questions T15

T15.) What if I don't want to manually save my tracklog? What happens if my current tracklog gets too big?

Once the internal tracklog gets near 10,000 trackpoints the Oregon will begin to auto archive individual tracks segments from the current tracklog into files in [drive]:\Garmin\GPX\Archive. The Oregon will move enough tracks segments from the current tracklog to bring the tracklog back below 8,000 trackpoints. The first file created is 1.gpx, then 2.gpx, etc. Each archive file is filled in this manner until it contains about 5,000 trackpoints (or is ~1MB in size) and then another file with a unique number is created. Once a total of 20 files is reached the Oregon will delete the oldest file before creating a new file.

Needs to be updated, the filenames have changed.

but then question T13:

T13.) Can I manually save the internal tracklog data?

Yes. At any time the internal tracklog can be manually archived by selecting Main Menu>Track Manager>Current Track>Save Track. Saved tracks get saved to a file with a default name like YYYY-MM-DD and these tracks become visible in the Where To?>Tracks list.

The Oregon will also automatically save tracklog data into archive files if you don't archive the tracklog manually. More details below.

Now that has me wondering about

A. the auto-archiving only does 5,000 points and 20 tracks, way less than what's on the garmin's spec website

B. does manually saving tracks take away spache from the auto-archive

C. can I move a day's worth of tracking, which would be more than the current track, be saved. I guess that means can I manually save data from the archive?

i think the wiki is a bit outdated there. i have daily auto-archiving enabled on my 450 and it's up to 35 GPX files now, and only one per day and not split into multiple files (but i don't know if any of my tracklogs ever hit the alleged track point limit). this is with the latest beta firmware.