EarthCache Language Changes

cincol

SA EarthCachers should check out this Forum Topic - CLICK HERE TO SEE

Does this now mean we will be seeing EC's in Tswana, isiZulu, isiXhosa, etc? Crazy! Be prepared that whenever you travel to a country that does not have English as its language you will not be able to log EC's. :anibad:

What are your thoughts on this? Would be keen to hear some debate.

Umbono omkhulu! Ngizobhala i-earthcache!

Also thought it's a bit weird. It's one thing to support local languages but it will definitely exclude non-speakers. You also "might have to translate" it into English for the reviewing process, which will not be a trivial job for earthcache text that can be quite long. Does this mean English caches will not be allowed in non-English countries? (what does "Grandfathered" mean?)

Kyk uit vir my aardskatbeskrywing van 'n geologiese finomeen naby jou!

Sorry guys – my home language is German. So this is the last post in English – next one is for translation. I responded directly but this is one crazy idea of one person that did not think clearly. This is so ridiculous - I must do an EC in Zulu with not one single Zulu visiting the cache. Your focus must be on your customer – the guy visiting the cache. I hate to respond to ridiculous topics. Maybe we should consider a year long ban on all EC’s – that will force them to rethink there limitations. Kyk nou net hoe kwaad word hierdie boer. :laughing: Gerhard

The way I see it; all it means, is an Earth Cache can be in written in any of our 11 'official' languages, and there wont be a problem with it.

Do we have any ECs in Afrikaans yet?

Who will create the first one?

I think it also means that a zulu speaking cacher could create an EC in isiZulu, and it would be accepted (with a translation to the reviewer).

If there was one only in Zulu would you do it?

Would make for interesting translations....

We are trying to use exceptions to create rules. A request for additional languages should be handled on a one to one basis. If I am in Germany, I will not be surprised to find it in the German Language. It is my problem to get it translated.

But Google have the tool and I will get some rough indication of the topic. But we refuse to use these tools and we want to complicate the listing with another language. I used this tool several times and yes it is not perfect and the translation is sometimes crude but it does give me more or less what is needed and I can still do it.

I have no problem with any one visiting my caches and he can do what he wants to do. If you want to log in Russian please feel free to do it. The problem with the rule is that the scope of the rule will start to creep. If that is ok then it is ok to log in all languages. If it applies for the listing then it applies for the log. English is the acceptable communication medium.

If a Zulu do one in Zulu then it is fine with me; after all it is one of the official languages and it is his legal right to do so. But I would love to see that EC. I am an Afrikaans speaking engineer that thinks in English and I have no clue of the Afrikaans technical terms. To be honest I can not even recall reading any technical paper in Afrikaans. Better still I would love to see the geological phrases in this EC.

But if a 100 English speaking people arrive at the EC and not one single Zulu then I have fundamental problem. Where is the focus? Is it on the region that is not even aware of earth caching and that have no interest whatsoever or is with the cacher visiting the cache to learn something new?

I believe that one should not make it a rule in my own personal opinion to publish it in two languages. You are entering and you are breaking into a very sensitive area. All languages are equal. To be legally safe you need to publish it in 11 languages. After all then the languages are equal and level with each other. The moment you start to select a second language you will have the issue of “Why?” Then it needs justification and that is the time you get yourself in trouble. Then it begins as “What is your measurement, did you discriminate against the other languages”. Much easier to state that English is the business language than to try to chase your tail with legal issues. This is generally accepted practice.

It is much easier to contact the owner and ask for a translation. If you want my EC in Zulu then I will find a Zulu to translate it in Zulu for you. If you want it in Sotho then you have the legal right to get it. If you want it in Tswana then it is your legal right.

Someone is going to open a door and someone is going to get something he prayed for and I hope they can handle it. Gerhard