View map of caches in Israel

Nighthawk700

I was looking up geocaches in Israel, as my in-laws recently moved there. We'll probably go visit someday. However when I look at the caches, there aren't any roads or city names that are appearing. I wanted to see if there were any near where they live, as I'm sure in a few years we'll go to visit them. Any reason why they aren't appearing, or any way to get them up?

I was looking up geocaches in Israel, as my in-laws recently moved there. We'll probably go visit someday. However when I look at the caches, there aren't any roads or city names that are appearing. I wanted to see if there were any near where they live, as I'm sure in a few years we'll go to visit them. Any reason why they aren't appearing, or any way to get them up?

What map are you referring to? The Google maps here on geocaching.com, maps on your GPS, or other maps? It looks like Google doesn't have street maps for Israel (yet). But the caches show up, I see plenty here, and you can search for a city which will also come up. Switching to satellite view might help identify the exact location. And you can get a complete list of all caches in Israel here.

Sorry for not being so clear. I'm referring to the Google maps through Geocaching.com (with the caches showing) with no streets. But if you go to Google Maps (maps.google.com) then all the roads and cities do appear. For example, here's the same place you just showed me (your link where you see plenty): Googe Map in Israel.

I'd like to see the caches AND the cities/streets.

Sorry for not being so clear. I'm referring to the Google maps through Geocaching.com (with the caches showing) with no streets. But if you go to Google Maps (maps.google.com) then all the roads and cities do appear. For example, here's the same place you just showed me (your link where you see plenty): Googe Map in Israel.

I'd like to see the caches AND the cities/streets.

That's weird indeed - I've never seen something like this. Interesting. I thought google maps inside gc.com are the same as plain ol' google maps.

Might be a case for reporting in the bugs/problems section. If it's not a bug, at least they should be able to tell you why it's like this (MIGHT be some license/permissions thing, but I actually have no idea of that).

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75863-report-a-problem

Edited by luzian

When I was based in Israel and was about to do some caching I went on google maps to see stuff around. Sometimes it was all right, sometimes was loading for ages and even ater refreshing 10 times it did not load, the same happened to geocaching.com google maps, sometimes it was fine and could see the lil cache icons among street names and stuff, sometimes just the icons without the map itself. This not supposed to be any helpful, just wanted to tell you my own experience.

I didn't report it. I was reading an Israeli blog, and the person in the blog was having similar problems (using Google Maps with a "SPOT" in Israel). After some investigation, he found out that for security reasons, the Israeli authorities won't allow the release to third parties. Some info at:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-data-api/browse_thread/thread/6a2a8fac9735280e?pli=1