MIA travel bug feature request

mrcpu

quote:
Originally posted by jbmccarthy69:

As the TB owner I already have the ability to remove a TB from a cache.

But as the owner of the cache in which the travel bug was supposedly resting, you do not. That's where the thread went eventually.

Sure as a bug owner, you can grab the bug yourself and hold it indefinitely until it shows up. But here's the other side of the hypothetical question: I have a cache and I've verified that the bug isn't there. I don't want the bug icon sitting on my cache page when I don't have a bug there (people get testy). The bug owner is not responsive to my e-mails.

In that situation, I'd like to be able to send the bug to Travel Bug Heaven and then let the bug owner grab it from there, or when the bug turns up, let the grabber grab it from there. The problem would be that it would have distance if "Heaven" were set up as a cache with coordinates. We would need help from J-rish to set something like this up.

The other option is that if we don't send it to "bug heaven," the cache owner would be able to return the bug to the possession of the bug owner. Link would be "bug is not in my cache, but whereabouts are unknown". Clicking this link would make the bug automatically appear "in the hands of the owner." Thus forcing the solution mentioned above.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I currently have 6 TB's on my watch list and five are MIA. Four of them I moved myself and then they went MIA at the next cache. What in the heck are happening to these things!

For three of them I have e-mailed everyone who logged since I placed the TB and I only got back one response saying that they saw the TB when they found the cache. I may get a few more responses since my e-mails went out yesterday.

I've wanted to place some TB's but after this experience...I'm VERY hesitant.

Its frustrating because on one occasion, I bent over backward to help out TB's and then they are gone! Then the icons hang around possible luring other geocachers to the cache.

I recently went for a cache simply to get the TB because I liked its mission and wanted to help it out. When I got there after a two hour drive it was gone, the cache was partially plundered and the owner of the cache is also MIA. He's found two caches in over a year of being registered and has not responded to my e-mails. There have been two newbie finders (less than 3 finds) of the cache since I logged and both logged that all is well. Bull! This cache had lousy coordinates, was very wet, had no log book, was full of Mctoys, had a old Barbie doll with an arm missing, and the Travel Bug was gone!

If this was my first find, It would of been my last.

Sorry to rant, but a little responsibility comes along with participation in this activity.

Smoochnme

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

I get a little baffled, too. I have a TB that's just a postcard with the TB number on it, and there's really clear instructions on it, including a "please don't take this if you're not going to move it to a new cache" plea.

Sure enough, grabber #3 took it and sent me a note that they had no idea what it was or what do do with it.

Sigh.

Luckily they contacted me (thanks to the instructions on the card, I imagine) at least, so I could help educate them.

It's like racoons and shiny objects, I guess. Maybe we need to only use happy meal toys and old golf balls for travel bugs. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by smoochnme:

I currently have 6 TB's on my watch list and five are MIA. Four of them I moved myself and then they went MIA at the next cache. What in the heck are happening to these things!

I get a little baffled, too. I have a TB that's just a postcard with the TB number on it, and there's really clear instructions on it, including a "please don't take this if you're not going to move it to a new cache" plea.

Sure enough, grabber #3 took it and sent me a note that they had no idea what it was or what do do with it.

Sigh.

Luckily they contacted me (thanks to the instructions on the card, I imagine) at least, so I could help educate them.

It's like racoons and shiny objects, I guess. Maybe we need to only use happy meal toys and old golf balls for travel bugs. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by smoochnme:

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

I have a TB that's just a postcard with the TB number on it, and there's really clear instructions on it, including a "please don't take this if you're not going to move it to a new cache" plea.

Sigh.

I was a little leery when I saw that the person who retrieved it was only 10 years old. (But at least he figured out how to log the retrieval...I think kids have an easier time with these computer things than some of us adults do.) Hopefully his parents will give him a hand in getting some of the photos you wanted, and sending it on its way.

-------

Join us at our first 196939_600.gif "geo-gathering" on 4/27/02!