The Brass Cap Geocoin

wavector

BrassCapCoinPreviewh.jpg

This will be the third geocoin I have created (with help, salutes to you all) that has had the AB tracking prefix.

Each geocoin I have made has had a custom icon and has been trackable. The Brass Cap Geocoin is a trackable geocoin with a custom icon created by Alberta artist and geocacher peanutbutterbreadandjam, that celebrates an iconic Alberta geocache, a moving virtual cache offering over 450 different targets for searchers, the Brass Cap Cache .

Some background

The first geocoin project I ever did was the Orange Dinosaur.

OrangeDinosaur.jpg

The Orange Dinosaur was made very early on and celebrated The Gas City - Medicine Hat, Alberta. The lamp post icon was handrawn before I ever saw a skirtlifter, that gas lamp is a theme of our city. The Orange Dinosaur was a personal coin with a PC prefix. The Orange Dinosaur was followed by the 2006 Alberta Wild Rose, artist peanutbutterbreadandjam, minted by my friends at The Geocoinstore.

AlbertaWildRose.jpg

AlbertaWildRose2.jpg

The Alberta Wild Rose was a committee coin and we did a great job, I love that geocoin. It was the first geocoin made with the AB tracking code. If you know anyone involved in the project you can ask them question like "How many mosquitoes are on that geocoin?" "Why is it also called the Adult Geocoin?".

The next project I undertook was the Purple Dinosaur The Albertosaurus Geocoin.

b2c3fec6-8b35-4d73-b87e-0ce3320d899e.jpg

ef68b728-6f44-44b6-8fdd-c414f37ecd86.jpg

This geocoin celebrates the unique nature of geocaching in Medicine Hat, we have some of the oldest geocaches in Alberta because geocaching played a role in early college geography programs. peanutbutterbreadandjam was the artist for the Albertosaurus geocoin and it was the second geocoin I made that had the AB prefix.

The Brass Cap Geocoin started off, as every geocoin that I have made has, as a labour born out of love. I didn't dwell too much on this geocoin because there wasn't much I had to do, the material only needed selection and arrangement, the work of creation is an ongoing process with the cache owner.

With Brian's (outforthehunt) permission I selected the two elements that make this geocoin.

The unnamed artist who did the translation of these elements into geocoinage artwork selected the palette of colours. The experts at The Geocoinstore suggested finishes and other design elements.

Thank You All.

This geocoin has turned out more than well. I am so very happy with every choice made and the resulting geocoin is one of the nicest geocoins I have ever seen or handled. It is certainly hands down the nicest geocoin I have ever made and it yells Alberta with every feature. If you are an Alberta geocacher and brass capper then you are going to want this geocoin.

I am especially pleased with the Artist Version of this geocoin. The subtle differences between the Attendee Version and the Artist Version are perfect, thanks Pete.

The Artist Version of this geocoin has been made in a very small number and none are being retained. There will be around a dozen sets of the Brass Cap Geocoins available at the SAW I Weekend. Each set of Brass Cap Geocoins will contain a copy of the Artist Version, the Thank You Version, the Attendee Version and the Retail Version. The remaining Artist Version geocoins will be presented to outforthehunt so the only way to get an Artist Version of this geocoin is to attend or to hope at some future point that outforthehunt might give you one. :blink:

This geocoin turned out so very well.

Can you tell that the geocoins arrived today?

I will add a link for American and International buyers to the Brass Cap Convention geocoin webpage tomorrow.

I will not be posting any pictures of the new Brass Cap geocoins until the debut of the geocoin is complete at the SAW I- Welcome to Medicine Hat Event Cache on Friday August 20th, 2010. No Brass Cap Geocoins will ship until the 18th of August.

Edited by wavector

Ah I was wondering how to get one of those :laughing: I heard about it while I was checking out the Calgary Cachers forums. Better add an international order button soon as I am now in Australia, not Alberta :laughing:

Incidentally there are survey markers here but we don't get the opportunity to log them on gc.com like you do in Alberta :( There is no one to keep track of everything the way outforthehunt does! We are able to log them as a type of locationless geocaching Australia cache though.

oh! and just realized 1975 was a GREAT year, thanks for putting it on :P

You wouldn't happen to be 35 years old would you?

1975 was a great year, I was just finishing high school, there were no personal computers but you could get Heathkits. I didn't know what I was going to do for living but I would be out in the patch pretty soon after dropping out of school. I wouldn't find a career in computers for another 10 years or so, I got into the industry right around the time that the 386 was debuting and computers powered by these expensive powerful processors were $5000.00. Machrone's Law stated that the computer you wanted always cost $5000.00, it didn't have the endurance of Moore's Law but it was very true for many years.

We had to make sure to go to the bank on Friday afternoon to ensure we had money for the weekend. Bank lineups were really bad on Fridays.

I will try and get the button up for Australia and other International ports of call up today gardengorilla. I shipped two Earth turtles to Greece, the basic cost was $4.00 but Registered bumped it up to $16.95. :)

Edited by wavector

WOW!!! 1975 was surelly a great year!

I was born in 1975! :)

You too Nikos!!!

If you want one of these Brass Cap Geocoins then you are going to have to order one or wait until they show up in a cointest. That is going to happen for sure and I know you will be providing the answers no matter how tough I make the question.

This newest geocoin really turned out well, it is great when a geocoin turns out so well. You never know if the choices you made are correct until you see the final product.

My friends at The Geocoin Store offered their expertise and I listened and I think that is one reason why the geocoin turned out so well. They took my ideas and translated that into geocoinage.

:) I will sure try my friend! :P

Hmm... can I ask you about the wild rose geocoin? the number of mosquitos is the same with the participants who made the coin? Let's say 40?

Now why it is called adult coin??? Does it have to do wit the shape of the leaves or with the center of the coin or I my mind is... ;)

Hmm... can I ask you about the wild rose geocoin? the number of mosquitos is the same with the participants who made the coin? Let's say 40?

Now why it is called adult coin??? Does it have to do wit the shape of the leaves or with the center of the coin or I my mind is... ;)

Some lesser known features of the Alberta Wild Rose Geocoin

There are actually 42 mosquitoes on the geocoin celebrating a very early series of Alberta geocaches hidden in Edmonton called the "Building 42" caches.

There are nineteen stamens on the rose representing Alberta's 19 electoral regions, Electoral Area #1 is Medicine Hat/Cypress County. :ph34r:

The names of various cities, hamlets, towns and villages were added to the coin and most were selected because an early Alberta geocacher had set a cache there or lived there. The cities are arranged generally from N to S and W to E. One glaring exception to this arrangement and a purposeful one is the placement of Sexsmith, Alberta in a very visible portion of the coin because well... sex sells. The placement of Sexsmith is the reason the Wild Rose is also called the Adult geocoin.

For Alberta geocachers names like East Coulee and O'Brien may be familiar, they are the home towns or early placement locations of very well known Alberta geocachers. There weren't many features of this geocoin that were random, it was design choices all the way.

Some lesser known features of the Alberta Wild Rose Geocoin

There are actually 42 mosquitoes on the geocoin celebrating a very early series of Alberta geocaches hidden in Edmonton called the "Building 42" caches.

There are nineteen stamens on the rose representing Alberta's 19 electoral regions, Electoral Area #1 is Medicine Hat/Cypress County. :ph34r:

The names of various cities, hamlets, towns and villages were added to the coin and most were selected because an early Alberta geocacher had set a cache there or lived there. The cities are arranged generally from N to S and W to E. One glaring exception to this arrangement and a purposeful one is the placement of Sexsmith, Alberta in a very visible portion of the coin because well... sex sells. The placement of Sexsmith is the reason the Wild Rose is also called the Adult geocoin.

For Alberta geocachers names like East Coulee and O'Brien may be familiar, they are the home towns or early placement locations of very well known Alberta geocachers. There weren't many features of this geocoin that were random, it was design choices all the way.

WOW!!! ;) Fantastic!!!Thank you my friend! :D

The placement of Sexsmith is the reason the Wild Rose is also called the Adult geocoin.

Oh, I see it now...it ran off the edge of a petal. At first I thought it was something else..... :D

That isn't the only reason it is the Adult geocoin though.

Right below the town of Sexsmith you can see a little of the name of one of our towns here in Alberta called Bassano. I live about 90 minutes from Bassano.

Now that right there is artistic merit or something.

You don't see that on every geocoin!

No pictures of the Brass Cap Geocoin yet, it's debut is this Friday.

The event committee is uniformly pleased with the results. We didn't manage to insert any adult features but hey, this is a family activity.

The link to the Brass Cap Geocoin webpage is here. You can use the PayPal link for the US or Canada but don't use the PayPal link for Pickup Only unless you can pick up the geocoin.

If you won a Brass Cap Geocoin in a contest or you purchased a geocoin they are shipping starting today.

Pre-regsitration for the Brass Cap Convention is now closed, that means if you want a t-shirt you will have to take your chances at the event. The Brass Cap Geocoin will be available in the Retail and Attendee versions.

Thanks

Edited by wavector

I would still like to purchase one, still working on the international order button?

I really really thought I would have that done by now!

I will try and get to the post office tomorrow.

Actaully for you I will send the coin to Austraslia for the US postage rate.

Go ahead and use the US PayPal button and I will know it is you when I see the addy.

I will mail the geocoin tomorrow.

Today is the first day of shipping so you won't be too far off the mark

Thanks for being patient!

Geocoins in the mail

V9H 1N8

T3K 6A3

If you are expecting a geocoin to be mailed and do not see your code on the list please feel free to contact me. Pictures ofthe geocoin coming soon!

We had a very succesful debut of the Brass Cap Geocoin tonight at the SAW 1 Welcome to Medicine Hat Event. Standing room only. The Tiny Bubbles Event was great, my homemade bubble ring didn't work too well though. :anibad:

If you are reading and aren't sure what you want to do tomorrow, consider coming down to the Fifth Avenue United Church, Wesley Hall. Medicine Hat, Alberta.

Doors open at 10:00 and we will go to 4:00. A CARMH dinner afterwards. Lots of people out tonight I bet.