manually reference TIFF-file ?!?

hi there,

quite urgently I would need a helping hint for converting a regular Map I have in TIFF-format

into a referenced Geo-Tiff file to use with mapping software.

I've been reading various things e.g. about GeoTiff Examiner (discontinued)

but even with this nifty program at hand, I still would not know how to mark coordinates.

Is there any easier program out there; load the file, click a pixel/position and edit the value to known Data?

Would really need this quite urgently, as I'm heading for a trip and don't have the map ready :-(

I don't know if it'll make a Geo-TIFF, but you can pretty much lay-out an entire map with a program called MyGPS http://www.faureragani.it/mygps/indexeng.html , which I use to convert trail maps to GPX (though I have had to use EasyGPS to convert the output GPX to something readable.. The native GPX output is incompatible with Garmin Mapsource and other mapping programs. Simply importing and re-saving.) I've done quite a few maps from a trail book for the state of Connecticut, converting the blazed trail maps to GPX format, as the writers of the book do not provide GPSr readable format.)

MyGPS uses a raster map (in may standard picture formats. (JPG, BMP, etc.) you place 2 calibration points, and then can dynamically trace out a route or waypoint list, or import them and track data from Garmin GPSr's. My method of madness, I trace the trails as a dynamic route, export the data, then hand-convert the route data to track data, re-import, then export in GPX format. It's not 100% perfect.. As I mentioned, you give 2 reference points to calibrate a map.. With scanned images, this is not very accurate. (even the slightest rotation throws it off)

Stephen (gelfling6)