Geocoin grabbed from me instead of retrieved from cache

Brownsound

I placed a geocoin in a cache, but before I logged it someone else found the coin and logged it as a grab from my inventory rather than a retrieval from a cache.

Consequently the coin is now logged in the new keeper's possession, and there is no log for the cache in which it was placed, so the mileage is not registered.

This is particularly frustrating as the cache was in a country the coin had not visited before, which I had specifically researched and earmarked.

What is the correct way to resolve this?

I have left a note explaining what has happened on the coin's log. Is this sufficient?

You can ask the cacher who grabbed the coin from you for the trackingcode. You then grab it back and log it with a note in the cache where you left it. The other cacher can then retrieve it like he should have done in the first place. You could make a remark about patience in your e-mail to the other cacher.

If that cacher desn't respond to your e-mail, you could contact the owner of the coin for the trackingcode. Then you will have to do the grabbing and dropping also. And let the other cacher know you grabbed the coin from him and he doesn't have it in his inventory. Otherwise he may drop it of in a cache realtime but can't do so virtual.

I see these things happen more and more. Not only during vacation periods. Cachers nowadays don't seem to know how things are done.

Cachers nowadays don't seem to know how things are done.

I'm sure that it is entirely the ignorance of these modern cachers, and not something else...

Given that sometimes coins do appear in caches where they weren't supposed to be, this can happen for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I have done one of several things depending on circumstances...

I have posted a note on a coin to say that I have it, I got it from X cache and I will pick it up when it is logged that it was dropped.

I have also grabbed it from the person who had it, dipped it in the cache that I found it in and deleted the cache logs.

I would suggest asking the person who has it to dip it in the cache where they found it.

Z.

I placed a geocoin in a cache, but before I logged it someone else found the coin and logged it as a grab from my inventory rather than a retrieval from a cache.

Consequently the coin is now logged in the new keeper's possession, and there is no log for the cache in which it was placed, so the mileage is not registered.

This is particularly frustrating as the cache was in a country the coin had not visited before, which I had specifically researched and earmarked.

What is the correct way to resolve this?

I have left a note explaining what has happened on the coin's log. Is this sufficient?

It's done you can't resolve it. You retrieved the coin, tried to follow up on it's mission, dropped it in a cache but before you could log it in it was picked up and the finder didn't know the difference between a grab and a retrieval. It happens. They could've postponed their logging the coin into their inventory and you could've logged it into the cache sooner..... 6 of one half a dozen of the other. No big deal.

Edit to add: I see you've already posted a note to the coin page but wrongly accuse the next grabber to have logged the coin out badly..... that's not correct. Because the coin was still in your inventory when they grabbed it there was no option to retrieve it from the cache since it hadn't been tracked into it yet. Just bad luck and poor timing since you both visited the cache on the same day.

Edited by Droo