Hitchhikers

Pair O' Medics

Hello,

My husband and I are brand new at this (started on Father's Day after he received a GPS as a gift). We of course can't get enough of it now! My question is this, are travel bugs and Where's George dollars the only form of hitchhiker, or can you make anything a HH?

Thanks!

icon_rolleyes.gif

[This message was edited by pairomedics&theiv on June 20, 2002 at 06:48 AM.]

Anything can be a hitchhiker. The caveat is how you track its movements.

Back before there were travel bugs, I started a pair of hitchhikers called Scooby Doo, Where are You? as a pair of Shaggy and Scooby characters. They've had some great travels. But I had to set them up as a cache at the time, because there was no other way to track their movements on the Geocaching site. I've never converted them to a Travel Bug, and just keep updating them they way they can be seen now. More work on my side, but less cost to me as well.

If you want automatic tracking on the Geocaching site, you need to buy a travel bug. It does all the work for you - maps, history, etc. Wheresgeorge bills are tracked on their site - which is not related to Geocaching in any way other than mutual awareness. Somewhere in the Travel Bug forum someone talked about "book tracking" a while ago - but that's specifically for books.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Thanks for the reply, what I wanted to do is send something off with a logbook attached and see how far and to how many people it got. If I ever got the HH back it would be a blast to see what people wrote in the logbook! I looked at your Scooby & Shaggy HH, (very cool by the way) they sure travel quickly! icon_biggrin.gif