Awards, Achievments, leaderboards & badges (The future of Geocaching?)

Encouraging people to hide caches for points could be bad for the game. If they're not willing to maintain the caches they place and they just throw out some garbage container in some garbage location and leave it there, it becomes garbage.
I was thinking the same thing. I can see many unoriginal, poor caches being placed simply to up a stat count or "earn" a badge of some sort.

That's a pet peeve of mine when it comes to letterbox hybrids. Many people hide them to get the "badge" (the letterbox icon), without any thought to the all-important stamp.

There was one hidden in my area a couple months before I started way back in 2003. It's still around, and to this day doesn't have a stamp. I can't speak for wanting a little icon way back before challenge caches or GSAK macro badges, but to this day, I have no idea why this thing is a letterbox hybrid. Or about half of the others I have found over the years, for that matter.

I have noticed on some of the cacher’s sites that they proudly display certain badges that they have been able to achieve over the years of caching. I have tried to find where these badges are within the main geocaching web site, but I have been unable to locate the page.

The badges you see are not official and not on the website. They are generated by some random statistics program out there and were basically just made up.

The earthcache award levesl (bronze, silver, gold, and platinum) mentioned by the prior poster are perhaps the exception to this since they are administered through the GSA as part of the earthcache program.