Garmin Rino functionality question, Help please.

Hello all,

this is probably a VERY simple answer but I can't find it with search. Search will not let me search "rino" says words have to have 5 letters... WTF?, so how would one search for just threads pertaining to Rino then? I tried "Garmin+Rino" and came up with every topic under the sun that had the word "Garmin" in it...?

Anyway, I also went to Garmin.com and downloaded the PDF manual for the 530Hcx and can't find the answer in there either??? Please help.

My question is, when hiking & camping If I have a pair of Rino's, one for me & one for my aging father, can I initiate seeing where he is by keying up the mic. or does he have to initiate and key his mic. to send me his position? The reason I ask is that the main reason for getting these would be to be able to know where he is if something happened to him. If he was incapacitated, I could key my mic., get his position and go to help him. (theoretically).

Is that how these work, or would he have to broadcast for me to see his current position?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

You might try the Garmin Forums (Google garmin forums) for users of Rinos. Who is gonna know best?

I don't know the answer to your question BUT... in order for your unit to know where his unit is, I suspect that he must transmit the signal that sends the coords. I highly doubt that the Rino is continually transmitting the coordinates of its' own accord -- it would be a terrible battery drain.

Just a guess on my part though. :blink:

I don't know the answer to your question BUT... in order for your unit to know where his unit is, I suspect that he must transmit the signal that sends the coords. I highly doubt that the Rino is continually transmitting the coordinates of its' own accord -- it would be a terrible battery drain.

Just a guess on my part though. :blink:

Thanks for the scoop... I too am sure that they don't continually broadcast but as I understand it, what little I do understand about them at least, you have to "link them" so that when you talk to each other on the walkie talkie function, they also send each other their coordinates, so you can see where each other are on the GPS screen.

My question is, once we are "linked". Can I see his position when I key up my mic. and transmitt to him or is it ONLY a one way transmission and only sends the coords of the transmitting person to the other guy? or, is it two way, like a roger beep and transmitts back to the originating unit?

I'll keep looking, thanks for any and all help.

Hello all,

this is probably a VERY simple answer but I can't find it with search. Search will not let me search "rino" says words have to have 5 letters... WTF?, so how would one search for just threads pertaining to Rino then? I tried "Garmin+Rino" and came up with every topic under the sun that had the word "Garmin" in it...?

Anyway, I also went to Garmin.com and downloaded the PDF manual for the 530Hcx and can't find the answer in there either??? Please help.

My question is, when hiking & camping If I have a pair of Rino's, one for me & one for my aging father, can I initiate seeing where he is by keying up the mic. or does he have to initiate and key his mic. to send me his position? The reason I ask is that the main reason for getting these would be to be able to know where he is if something happened to him. If he was incapacitated, I could key my mic., get his position and go to help him. (theoretically).

Is that how these work, or would he have to broadcast for me to see his current position?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

You can "poll location" of any other unit that is on the same channel as you and allows polling of its location. So it is important that you set "Allow Polling" to "On" under "Setup" of "Radio".

Once you allow that and set both your units to the same channel/code combination, you can poll the location of your father's unit. We have several Rino 530HCx in our family and keep track of our kids that way when we go camping/hiking/backpacking/geocaching. It's sort of a long leash for us. On the map display we went into the menu and clicked "Show ..." and selected "Contact Bar". That way we see little icons in the contact bar for each child. We can then sroll down to the child we want to look up, click on it and then in the menu click on "Poll Location".

Our kids don't even know that we can poll their location. They think, that an update happens only when you talk or text, because they see their siblings positions updated when they talk.