Missing coins

jellis

Twice now I had geocoins go missing and suddenly they returned.

One was placed in a cache in the mountains, then that cache gets archived. I asked if someone could be sure the cache is gone. Yes it is gone and so was my coin. Then two years later it shows up in a cache in Tennessee not far from the GeoWoodstock that was held there.

In March of '09 I had another coin that a group cachers went on a quest for a 5 star cache. One of them said they dropped the coin in it. Six months later another cacher goes there and says the coin is missing. I tried contacting all who were there and they kept pointing fingers and each other. Now today someone discovers it in the hands of the cacher who said it was missing almost a year later. But he hasn't released it.

I wrote to that cacher, waiting for a response.

Twice now I had geocoins go missing and suddenly they returned.

One was placed in a cache in the mountains, then that cache gets archived. I asked if someone could be sure the cache is gone. Yes it is gone and so was my coin. Then two years later it shows up in a cache in Tennessee not far from the GeoWoodstock that was held there.

In March of '09 I had another coin that a group cachers went on a quest for a 5 star cache. One of them said they dropped the coin in it. Six months later another cacher goes there and says the coin is missing. I tried contacting all who were there and they kept pointing fingers and each other. Now today someone discovers it in the hands of the cacher who said it was missing almost a year later. But he hasn't released it.

I wrote to that cacher, waiting for a response.

This is just part of the drama we've come to expect, dread and sometimes even enjoy when it comes to travelers. There's always a story, but just wish it would show up in it's entirety on the logs! At least you have an idea where it's at and hopefully that is a step towards getting it on the trail again. Thanks for putting them out there for us to enjoy though. :unsure:

Isn't coin ownership a little like having kids? .... or at least as close to having kids as I'm prepared to go. You can send them out there but you can't always predict what they'll do. You can cajole and ask and direct but they're still going to do what they want.