Oh no! Garmin Oregon shuts off after fifteen seconds, no matter what!

I am on a trip, and this afternoon, my Oregon shut off while I was driving. I thought maybe the power cord fell out, or was not seated properly. I checked that it was, shrugged, and unplugged it, knowing it has batteries in it.

Then it shut off again, but maybe the batteries were pretty old, I thought, at least a few weeks. :unsure:

So I put new Duracell batteries in it. Shuts off. I tried it a dozen times, even swapping out the new batteries for more new batteries.

I plugged it into my laptop for power, and it's getting sketchy now, because I am still driving. -_-

Nope, shuts off.

I am using the Garmin cord it came with, for what it's worth, when plugging into the computer.

Just now I arrive at the hotel I am staying at this evening (early, I know) and plugged it into the laptop, and entered mass storage mode (it prompted me), and it does not shut off.

Hmmmm.....

Should I download latest firmware and upgrade? I don't have mapsource on this laptop, this is company issued. I have a track on there I really really really want to save, I made it only yesterday, it was a fantastic ride I took on my motorcycle (brought it with me!) and I want to ride that route again someday. Maybe tomorrow.

Help!

Thoughts, suggestions?

Oh bugger. I downloaded the web updater, ran it. It said there is hundreds of megabytes of updates. I was a bit surprised, but okay.

Then, of course, it failed to complete. It says there is not enough room on the disk. :unsure:

Maybe this is a good time to mention I have the 400c, with the marine maps. That drive has 992mb free. -_-

I have a wee little sd card in the back with the street maps on it. It has 2.5 Gig free.

So, ahhh... hmmm. I guess I better delete the waypoints, and gpx files to run this update. I will put them in a folder on the desktop for now.

Edited by Cleenjeep & Danger Girl

I am on a trip, and this afternoon, my Oregon shut off while I was driving. I thought maybe the power cord fell out, or was not seated properly. I checked that it was, shrugged, and unplugged it, knowing it has batteries in it.

Then it shut off again, but maybe the batteries were pretty old, I thought, at least a few weeks. :unsure:

So I put new Duracell batteries in it. Shuts off. I tried it a dozen times, even swapping out the new batteries for more new batteries.

I plugged it into my laptop for power, and it's getting sketchy now, because I am still driving. -_-

Nope, shuts off.

I am using the Garmin cord it came with, for what it's worth, when plugging into the computer.

Just now I arrive at the hotel I am staying at this evening (early, I know) and plugged it into the laptop, and entered mass storage mode (it prompted me), and it does not shut off.

Hmmmm.....

Should I download latest firmware and upgrade? I don't have mapsource on this laptop, this is company issued. I have a track on there I really really really want to save, I made it only yesterday, it was a fantastic ride I took on my motorcycle (brought it with me!) and I want to ride that route again someday. Maybe tomorrow.

Help!

Thoughts, suggestions?

Are the tensioning springs making an effective connection for the batteries?

Many a moon ago I had a Garmin XXXX behave the same way. "Adjusted" the tension and the issue went away.

Gremlins or the real deal? Not sure, however, worth a look see.

Oh bugger. I downloaded the web updater, ran it. It said there is hundreds of megabytes of updates. I was a bit surprised, but okay.

Then, of course, it failed to complete. It says there is not enough room on the disk. :unsure:

Maybe this is a good time to mention I have the 400c, with the marine maps. That drive has 992mb free. -_-

I have a wee little sd card in the back with the street maps on it. It has 2.5 Gig free.

So, ahhh... hmmm. I guess I better delete the waypoints, and gpx files to run this update. I will put them in a folder on the desktop for now.

Have you tried a master reset? it won't delete your track, but it might fix the gps...

Hold your finger on the top left of the screen as you start the unit, then let go, and it'll prompt you to reset...

I've had to resort to that a couple of times, myself...

I just checked, and they seem to be pretty good. The batteries are a pretty tight fit still. Enough that it's almost troublesome to get them in and out.

I suppose that's a good thing.

Good idea about the master reset, I didn't even know about that. I will try it if it comes up again.

I just checked, and they seem to be pretty good. The batteries are a pretty tight fit still. Enough that it's almost troublesome to get them in and out.

I suppose that's a good thing.

Good idea about the master reset, I didn't even know about that. I will try it if it comes up again.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/