PN-60, GSAK, GC PQ's

Just picked up a new Delorme PN-60 today. Was out caching in Alaska earlier this week w/ a local cacher who had recently purchased one. I wanted to find something to supplement my iPhone 3GS and 'paperless caching' is a must. I tried the new Lowrance Sierra; it's nice, but just isn't ready for prime time.

I was looking at the new Garmin GPSMAP 62 series as the Garmin & Lowrance Endura lines seem to accept GC Pocket Queries w/o the need for modification. However, there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about the varied level of support for PQ's by the Delorme line. My friend mentioned she found a way just this week to trick GSAK into treating the PN-60 like a PN-40.

Anyone have experience yet w/ PQ's -- native or GSAK modified -- and the PN-60? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thx.

There are multiple ways to load PQs to your PN-60. Cache Register 2.0 will be released by Delorme soon and it will support the PN-60 and PN-30, 40 that have the 2.8 FW update. You can also use GSAK, however until updates are made to add the PN-60 to the direct "send to GPS" menu, I would avoid that method of loading. Instead, use the File>Export>GPX/Loc function to create a GPX of your combined caches/child waypoints and then simply drag & drop the GPX file onto the SD card of your 60. You can also drag & drop an unzipped GPX file that comes directly from the GC.com onto the SD card but the catch is, since the cache file and child waypoint file are separate, they will be stored on the card that way and you can only have one file open in internal memory at any given time. Not a big issue for some people.

Of course you can also load PQs using Topo NA 9 and the new sync feature. If you look under the map files tab, you'll notice a tab named "geocaching". This works much like Cache Register. Click on that tab, log in to your GC account and then choose auto update. You'll see you now have your PQs listed to the right. Check the ones you'd like to send to the PN and click geocaching>update. You'll see the PQs populated on the map. Now click the Sync button at the top of the screen. After sync does it's analysis, you can click on "Project Contents" and see everything that's ready to sync to the PN including your PQs. Just press the sync button again and you're good to go. When you go back to the PN you'll have do do the File>Open again to choose which PQ you want loaded in internal memory.

Edited by Pax42
...use the File>Export>GPX/Loc function to create a GPX of your combined caches/child waypoints and then simply drag & drop the GPX file onto the SD card of your 60.
Why not skip a step and just save it directly to the SD card out of GSAK? Edited by lee_rimar
...use the File>Export>GPX/Loc function to create a GPX of your combined caches/child waypoints [ib]and then[/b] simply drag & drop the GPX file onto the SD card of your 60.
Why not skip a step and just save it directly to the SD card out of GSAK?

Good point Lee. Old habits got in the way of my thinking. Yes the GPX file can be saved directly from "File>Export" to the 60's sd card.

Here's another trick: While the PN (or SD card in a reader) is connected to your computer, put a shortcut to its GPX target folder on your desktop -- or anyplace you think is easiest to reach. Will save you a few clicks drilling down to the right place every time you want to access that folder.

This seems like the place to put this as it's along the same realm, but I have a PN-40 with 2.6, going to 2.7 or 2.8.

OK, trying to get my mind wrapped around this and it's not working :) But that's par for my mind.

This is my current setup: I live in town H with a PQ of 500 caches (+200 waypoints) in a 10 mile radius. I often visit town E which is 25 miles east and Town N which is 25 miles north, both having the same size and radius PQ's (500 +200). I also work in City S which is 75 miles south and that has a PQ of 250 caches (+90 waypoints). As it stands now I can not load more than 1 of these PQ's at a time into the -40 because of the size limitations. I know I can tone down the PQ's a bit to fit 2 into the -40, but while I like to always have "H" loaded, at any time I can be in "E, N or S" so I would have to swap them out anyway. It's been working out OK, just a bit of deleting and uploading different PQ's depending on destination. Now to the question...

Upgrading to 2.8 gives me file transfer capabilities on the -40. I know I can put "H" into internal memory and also load "E, N & S" onto the SD card. When I load those 3 on the SD card it loads 6 files, correct? 3 cache files and their associated 3 waypoint files? And on the internal memory is 2 .gpx files for the "H" PQ, which right now BOTH show on the map (caches and waypoints). From what I read, I can load a PQ from the SD card, say the "E" cache gpx. Does it load the associated waypoint file to show on the map, or no, just the cache file? And does it move the file to internal or read off of the SD?

I know that T9 can import the PQ's and do some fancy schmancy stuff with it to get it on the -40, but I currently have T8 and Cash Register1 (plan on getting 2.8 with CR2) and want to try to not spend the $70 for T9 if I can avoid it. But, for clarity sake, if I had T9 and imported all 4 PQ's into the T9 map (8 files because of the waypoints, correct?) and then sent them to the -40, does it combine them into 1 big file in the internal memory, or keep them as separate PQ's. And if it does keep them separate, does it put them all on the SD, or ask if you want 1 on internal.

And as far as renaming the files - if I have the 6 files on the SD card, I'm guessing I need to know which of the numbers are associated with which PQ to get the name correct?

Basically, I would like to not have to constantly switch out which PQ is loaded as I move around a lot and having all 4 would be handy. Just trying to figure how it actually works when I move from "H" to "E", etc...

I'm sure these questions would be better understood with a hands on approach, and I apologize for the barrage of them. You guys have been great with getting the info out and I really appreciate it.

Yes, to all the above.

I do exactly that with my PN-40, FW 2.7, and Topo USA 8.0.

I download the PQ results under the Draw tab and then Export them as GPX files to the -40.

Similarly, I have 300+ for my town and the next town over where my daughter lives, in addition to some smaller ones for out of town areas.

I prefer to keep mine on the SD card.

I can keep the associated child, waypoints as a separate file, or combine them into one in the Draw tab as Cache Register does.

With the new Cache Register and FW 2.8, I expect that it will merge them as did the original version.

I thought I read about some bug/glitch/limitation with 2.7's. Handling of geocache cache/waypoint files that 2.8 corrects. Is there something?

Can you merge multiple PQ's and associated child/waypoints into 1 file and have it still work if it is more than 1000 waypoints? If yes, I'm assuming it would have to reside on the SD card. Trying to see if there was a way to move seamlessly from PQ "H" to PQ "E" and have all of the caches and associated waypoints show on the map withought having to swap between 4 gpx files.

There isn't really a glitch with 2.7. It's just not as user friendly as 2.8 i.e. there's more hoops to jump through to load multiple files.

If you're upgrading to CR 2.0 and FW 2.8, you have nothing to worry about. Your scenario will be handled with ease. The child waypoints and caches will all be combined into one GPX file for each PQ you set up so if you have PQs for 8 regions you'll have 8 GPX files loaded on the PN's sd card. 1 of those files can be open and in use at a time. When you want to change to another file you just open the one you want and it will first save any changes to the one that's closing.

You'll still need to keep each PQ below the 1000 mark (including child waypoints).

Thanks for the reply. I believe it was an issue having to do with the icons? Has that been fixed? What is the best way to put multiple PQ's onto an SD card with 2.7?

Also, if I put 4 PQ's (8 files) on the -40 and I open up the "E" file that contains caches, does the associated waypoint file get loaded as well? Or do I need to open that to grab a waypoint if it is needed, and then go back to opening the cache file?

Thanks again for the help.

Edit to add: What does the PN-60 do differently than the -40 with these files? Can you have more than 1000 in the main memory and showing on the map at once, or is there still a limitation?

Edited by radak9
...use the File>Export>GPX/Loc function to create a GPX of your combined caches/child waypoints and then simply drag & drop the GPX file onto the SD card of your 60.

I'm used to the oregon that you copy the pq directly to the garmin/gpx dir and your caches are all there on display. Can the pn-40 do this or uses another method.

Was the issue with the icons under 2.7 fixed or addressed?

If so, what is the best way to copy the gpx files over and place them on the SD card and maintain the icons?

I assume you're not using GSAK so I'll stick to methods using Topo 8.

First, There are no issues with FW 2.7 and wrong icons. The only reason the icons would be wrong is if you don't make sure your GPX version preference in your GC profile is set correctly for the 40 or you're using GSAK and have a wrong setting. To make sure your GPX version is set correctly follow these steps:

This corrects an issue created when Groundspeak added GPX 1.0.1 attribute functionality a while back. The PN-40 does not play well with GPX 1.0.1 and prefers the original GPX 1.0.

1- go to GC.com and click on YOUR PROFILE

2- then click on Your Account Details

3- scroll to the bottom of that page to Your Preferences

4- if it is set to 1.0.1, skip to step 10

5- click on change

6- find GPX Version Preference and change it to 1.0.1

7- click on Save Changes

8- click on change again

9- if the GPX Version Preference setting now says 1.0, go back to step 6 (yes really)

10- find GPX Version Preference and change it to 1.0

11- click on Save Changes

12- re-run the PQs that have the version problem, the new PQs should be OK

The instructions for loading multiple PQs to the 40 using Topo 8 are as follows: (this applies only to FW 2.7)

Note: Start with a clean slate, no caches or waypoints in internal memory of your PN-XX

1. Unzip the PQ.

2. Drag-n-drop the main geocache gpx file and child waypoint gpx file onto the map screen of Topo 8

3. Click on the "Exchange" button (PN-40 icon at top of Topo screen).

4. Select the GPX files you just brought into Topo from the left side of the screen and click send (one at a time). The PQ is now in internal memory

5. On the PN-40 go to menu>waypoints>menu>file>save as and give the PQ a name. It's now saved to the SD card.

6. Delete all geocaches/waypoints. Don't worry, the file will remain on the SD, it's just removed from internal memory.

7. Repeat all steps to load another PQ and continue the process for as many PQs as you can fit on the SD (lots).

To open files from SD card: menu>waypoints>menu>file>open

I'm used to the oregon that you copy the pq directly to the garmin/gpx dir and your caches are all there on display. Can the pn-40 do this or uses another method.

Caches can be loaded to the new PN-60 and the PN-40 with FW 2.8 that way.

Was the issue with the icons under 2.7 fixed or addressed?

If so, what is the best way to copy the gpx files over and place them on the SD card and maintain the icons?

I assume you're not using GSAK so I'll stick to methods using Topo 8.

First off, thank you very much for taking the time with this. You would be correct, I have GSAK but I use Cash Register. I will be using Topo8 from here on in for the PQ's, at least until they come out with CR2 and 2.8 :laughing:

I have not used T8 for PQ's up till now, if I could get a little help with getting the logged finds off the unit and uploaded, I would really appreciate it. I guessing that if I have logged finds in multiple PQ's that I may need to "load" them into memory individually to move the files, or will T8 grab all of them?

Thanks Again!!

First off, thank you very much for taking the time with this. You would be correct, I have GSAK but I use Cash Register. I will be using Topo8 from here on in for the PQ's, at least until they come out with CR2 and 2.8 :laughing:

I have not used T8 for PQ's up till now, if I could get a little help with getting the logged finds off the unit and uploaded, I would really appreciate it. I guessing that if I have logged finds in multiple PQ's that I may need to "load" them into memory individually to move the files, or will T8 grab all of them?

Thanks Again!!

T8 won't play a role in uploading your field notes and even though you may have multiple finds in different PQs, the finds are all placed in the same single "fieldnotes.txt" file on the PN.

Follow this link and click on the Delorme tab for instructions on uploading your field notes.

Edited by Pax42

Woot, thank you. Loaded 2.7 and a couple of PQ's, and it was painless....

A couple of last questions (for tonight :laughing:)

Can you rename waypoints on the SD card?

How do you delete SD waypoint files from the SD card?

And lastly, what is the process to "update" the waypoints, i.e., I load Hometown PQ and child waypoints on the card, after some time, I get some finds, some new caches are published, and I raise the # of cache searched from 500 to 725 (because I have room now) How do I update/swap the existing (old) PQ on the SD card with the new files?

TIA :laughing:

Woot, thank you. Loaded 2.7 and a couple of PQ's, and it was painless....

A couple of last questions (for tonight :laughing:)

Can you rename waypoints on the SD card? Any waypoint or geocache active in internal memory can be edited. When you close the file or open a new file those changes will be saved back to the SD card.

How do you delete SD waypoint files from the SD card? You will need to go to menu>sytem and select "connect to computer" and choose the sd card option. That will bring up the PN's sd card in windows explorer. The PQs are in the waypoints folder and you can delete them from there.

And lastly, what is the process to "update" the waypoints, i.e., I load Hometown PQ and child waypoints on the card, after some time, I get some finds, some new caches are published, and I raise the # of cache searched from 500 to 725 (because I have room now) How do I update/swap the existing (old) PQ on the SD card with the new files? I'm sure many folks have their preferred way of doing this but I simply delete the old PQ from the sd card and load the new fresh PQ in it's place.

TIA :laughing:

My comments highlighted in red.

Edited by Pax42

Thanks.

1 - I worded my first question wrong :laughing: When I "save as" a PQ onto the SD, is there a way to change the name that I named it, say a misspelling? I'm thinking it's easiest to do another "save as", name it correctly and delete the first one.

2 - Along those lines, I'm thinking the reason we can't just copy both of the PQ gpx files straight onto the SD card because they don't get "married together" by going through the T8 transfer?

3 - Sounds like the easiest way to me, and clean as well.

Thanks again. It is REALLY nice to have all of my local area caches ready to go at a minutes notice. I have ~2300 on right now in 4 PQ's that I visit regularly. It is so much better than having to remove/add all the time.