Looking for people to go caching with in NorCal

I5trucker

Wife and I have been interested in Geocaching for awhile and we have even gone out caching with our Garmin Nuvi 350 and have been unsuccessful. We did find one cache but it was very easy and we found it using the clues, not the GPS. We now have a Garmin eTrex Venture and would like to meet other people to go caching with and to help us learn how to use the GPS to be successful for when we go out on our own. We live in Redding,CA/Shasta Lake area.

Wife and I have been interested in Geocaching for awhile and we have even gone out caching with our Garmin Nuvi 350 and have been unsuccessful. We did find one cache but it was very easy and we found it using the clues, not the GPS. We now have a Garmin eTrex Venture and would like to meet other people to go caching with and to help us learn how to use the GPS to be successful for when we go out on our own. We live in Redding,CA/Shasta Lake area.

Try contacting a few cachers in that area.

That was the point of my post, to try and contact others in my area. Is there a better way to contact locals besides this forum? Thanks.

That was the point of my post, to try and contact others in my area. Is there a better way to contact locals besides this forum? Thanks.

Yes, send them an email.

Edited by Team Cotati

Yes, send them an email.

But how do I know who the local geocachers are in my local area?

The shirtless guy is not very helpful. Farther down the page is the forum for West and Southwest which includes California. This is more local than this forum which is worldwide. To contact some cachers in your area search for caches around where you live and contact the folks that hid t them. The only event that I see coming up is in Yuba City which might be farther than you wish to drive. But events are great places to meet cachers and get some hints on finding caches.

The shirtless guy is not very helpful. Farther down the page is the forum for West and Southwest which includes California. This is more local than this forum which is worldwide. To contact some cachers in your area search for caches around where you live and contact the folks that hid t them. The only event that I see coming up is in Yuba City which might be farther than you wish to drive. But events are great places to meet cachers and get some hints on finding caches.

Thanks. That was helpful.

Yes, send them an email.

The way that I'd do it would be to go to the home page, click on hide and seek a geocache. Then in the by address: window, I'd type redding, ca.

That action will give you many many geocachers to email who live in the redding, ca. area.

You're most welcome.

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks to you too, that sounds like what I should have done, instead of coming on the forums.

Yes, send them an email.

The way that I'd do it would be to go to the home page, click on hide and seek a geocache. Then in the by address: window, I'd type redding, ca.

That action will give you many many geocachers to email who live in the redding, ca. area.

You're most welcome.

As mentioned, Events are probably your best bet. There's usually one or two Events a year in the Redding area, which has a relatively active Community.

Aside from that, you might check out these nearby Groups:

Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers (N.U.T.S.) - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nuts_/

River City Geocaching & Dining Society - http://www.rcgds.net/

Best of luck!

A really neat idea, to meet your local geocachers:

Host an event!

Events don't need to be big affairs, 3 or more attendees easily qualifies. A simple Meet & Greet.

You could host it at a park or a local restaurant/pub. Schedule it at least a month in advance, so your local cachers can see it and plan to attend.

I was just up camping at Sims Flat, which has one easy cache and one doozy (which would be fun to do as a small group if someone has an SUV.) Nice small NFS Park, with campground, fishing, tables, nice views of Shasta.

That's my 2 cents.

Best of luck!

Edited by DragonsWest

If you can, take the venture back and get the etrex vista hcx. For the money it's more than worth it. The Venture is lacking everything that you need for this. If you want to stay under 100$$ go for the geomate jr. instead. It's less expensive and it works the same if not better in a lot of cases. But Your local cachers (I'm a bit more south in Placer County) can help you figure it out and get whatever device you use figured out.