Benchmarks not in the database

packeteer350

No. (Not new).

You can't (report them).

The Geocaching database is (apparently) based on the NGS database. The NGS does not track all survey markers in the USA. There are many USGS, local government, US Corps of Engineers, and other marks not tracked by NGS.

In fact, most of the USGS marks are tracked by the USGS on paper (or so I hear).

Just enjoy them, and move on. If you want to log a find, look in the D/B before looking for a marker.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by DustyJacket on April 21, 2003 at 06:22 AM.]

Be sure to click on "See all benchmarks for the query" just in case one of the ones you've found is a 'skull'.

What you've noticed is a well known situation, discussed in several topics on this forum.

The Geocaching database is straight from the NGS. The NGS has several agencies' benchmarks in their database as well as their own, but they don't include all the benchmarks in them. Some are not up to the NGS measurement standards as a "publishable" mark. There are probably more reasons for others not being included.

[This message was edited by Black Dog Trackers on April 21, 2003 at 01:20 PM.]

yes, dont move one. you can get a list of USGS benchmarks by calling the USGS office in Denver, if you live in the West, or in Rolla, MO, if you live in the East. this might not be officially correct, but it seems to work. i had to call a few times before i was connected to someone willing/ able to help. i gave the USGS researcher a lat/ long, and a radius, and asked for all horizontal and vertical controls within that radius. a few days later i received the datasheets, which are remarkably primitive compared to those on the NGS website. my father (seventhings) has found several of these marks in the N. Virginia area, and has included their positions and descriptions as side notes when he logs benchmarks on the Geocaching webiste that are near the USGS marks. local guys like Black Dog Trackers might read those notes and enjoy searching for these unpublished marks.