Datasheet H/M/S to GPS conversions?

HotRod205

Quick question... I have read through almost the entire Benchmarking forum and don't recall this addressed, and can't seem to find a conversion anywhere around...

Here is a location on a datasheet...

DH0947* NAD 83(1986)- 33 24 19.86 (N) 086 52 27.27 (W) HD_HELD1

How is this converted to the GPS coordinate format?

Quick question... I have read through almost the entire Benchmarking forum and don't recall this addressed, and can't seem to find a conversion anywhere around...

Here is a location on a datasheet...

DH0947* NAD 83(1986)- 33 24 19.86 (N) 086 52 27.27 (W) HD_HELD1

How is this converted to the GPS coordinate format?

The only difference between the two formats is the seconds. The NGS uses seconds (which is each minute broke down into 1/60ths and geocaching uses decimal minutes, (which is each minute broke down into 1/1000ths). Both of these are GPS coordinate formats, but I am thinking you meant the geocaching format we use, which is Degree, minute, decimal minutes.

To convert easily, you can take the seconds in the NGS format 19.86 and 27.27 and divide them by 60.

19.86 divided by 60 is .331, so you get N33 24.331

27.27 divided by 60 is .454, so you get W086 52.454

The degrees and minutes are the same for both formats

You can work it the other way by taking .331 and multiply by 60, which you get 19.86... to convert decimal minutes that you use for geoaching to degree/minute/seconds format that the NGS uses. (Make sure when you do it this way to include the decimal in front of the 331)

Edited by LSUFan

I've tried the Boulter converter (use it all the time for the "click here" feature!) and it returns a location in the Middle East! Obviously not correct...

Are you sure you put a minus sign before the longitude?

I just copied and pasted the info from the NGS datasheet excerpt you posted; it appeared that Jeff's calculator got thrown off by the decimals on the seconds, but it did fine when I rounded those off.

What's the "Click here" feature?

Did you try converting the coordinates in your GPSr?

Patty

This is interesting. I took the coordinates 33 24 19.86 (N) 086 52 27.27 (W) and plugged that into Google Earth. It pointed to a location in Troy Michigan. Then I plugged in the coordinates 33 24 19.86 086 52 27.27 GE went to Tibet, which I sort of expected since the longitude is a positive number. But then I plugged in the coordinates 33 24 19.86 -086 52 27.27 (notice the longitude is a negative number) and GE went to Shannon Alabama which according to the data sheet is correct.

So why did the first one go to Michigan?

To respond to hotrod205’s question; be sure to put the minus sign in front of the longitude.

It's gotta have something to do with the parens on it. I took them off and it went to Alabama. I put them back on and it said it didn't recognize the location. Also, it doesn't really go to a coordinate location as much as it does a specific place--the Tortoise and Hair Salon. I couldn't find anything in the salon description that matched the coordinate numbers though. Go figure.

Are "GPS Coordinates" a specific type of coordinates?

If your GPS is set to accept D/M/S, then don't you just want to put in:

33 24 19.86 & -86 52 27.27?

Or if it accepts decimal degrees:

33.4055167, 86.87424167?

... you people are making me question things even *I* thought I knew now. :blink:

Yes, good catch, FX; I think "hotrod205" meant "geocaching coordinates." That's how I interpreted it, anyway. Hopefully he'll have a chance to try the method you and I suggested soon.

Patty

Okay - I just wasn't sure. Since I've only had a single brand of GPS (DeLorme), and no experience with the others, I wasn't sure if maybe they only accepted coords in one format or not - would be surprised if they do, actually. :(

Sorry for the late reply on this, I thought I would get more notifications when replies were posted but I didn't.

Actually I got around the issue, I finally imported the NGS county download into GSAK and it converted everything. Just for kicks I tried it manually in GSAK and it will let you key lots of formats in and convert them to lots of other formats. I haven't tried inputing directly in my GPSr yet, I think it will let me but not sure. It's only an old eTrex Legend blue, so it may not.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm loving this forum even though I don't post much.

Try this with your legend. Use the thumb stick for highlighting, and push it in to select each option below:

find the main menu page>select

find setup>select

find units>select

find position format>select

now you can change it from geocaching decimal minutes "hddd mm.mmm" to NGS seconds "hddd mm ss"