Cache Hide ideas

Mike & Jess

Jess and myself started Up North Tracks in May as a way to acquire Groundspeak donations for some of our local events and for something to keep Jess occupied while staying home with our little geocacher.

Since our involvement in Geocaching has gone from just a casual outing, to a every weekend we are out on the trails, or at an event, our perception has sure changed.

Now, with the help of some local geocachers, we are trying to raise the awareness of Geocaching, and bring in different, more interest geocaches.

Getting right to the point:

What we are looking for is ideas for interesting/different caches.

Currently, Jess and myself are setting up a FTF event for mid August/September. This should include;

- 1 Where to Go

- 1 Letterbox

- 1 puzzle

- 1 earth

- 1 submerged traditional (underwater cache)

- 1 Traditional Ammo cache

- 2 surprise traditional caches (thinking maybe a bird house and hollowed out log)

What is the most interesting cache you have seen?

Currently, Jess and myself are setting up a FTF event for mid August/September. This should include;

- 1 Where to Go

- 1 Letterbox

- 1 puzzle

- 1 earth

- 1 submerged traditional (underwater cache)

- 1 Traditional Ammo cache

- 2 surprise traditional caches (thinking maybe a bird house and hollowed out log)

What is the most interesting cache you have seen?

The way you've described your event, it sounds as if it's for the purpose of finding caches and that's not what an event is designed for - see the guidelines here.

My favourite caches are ones that 1) were cleverly designed, 2) made me laugh, 3) were hidden in an area that made me want to revisit it. Please, please, please, don't hide a nano in the forest unless 1) your co-ordinates are spot on and/or 2) you're cruel like me! :(

Edited by entogeek

care to expand a bit on the "FTF event", how exactly will that work?

personally i don't see it working out very well even with a low turnout, lets say 10 people

the only event we went to were there was caching involved was the COG Spring Fling, with so many people going for a limited number of caches the chances are very high that you will stumble upon the previous cachers while they still have the cache in hand thus taking away the "hunting" part, its really becomes like a relay race

i just envision a stampede instead of a fun hunt lol

as for interesting/fun caches, we enjoy pretty much every hide but mostly the clever hides with a well done camo job, caches where you get to see an interesting place even if the hide is a simple one

the Wherigo caches can be a lot of fun if done well

Hi Mike and Jess,

Out West, we have Catch and Release Events that are similar to your FTF event. Look up Saskatoon's SCAR2010, Edmonton's CARW2010 or Calgary's CCAR10. The caches are submitted at least one week prior to the event to the reviewer and released one day prior so that routes can be planned and puzzles solved. The event is the supper at the end when we can share our stories and give out prizes. The best part is meeting other cachers on the hunt.

We have been to other events where coordinates to temporary caches where given out at the event followed by a BBQ.

It is important to talk to your reviewer now so that together you can plan for a successful event. You don't want to pick the week that he is on vacation or because of proximity errors, not have some caches published in time.

For interesting cache containers, check out the Cool Cache Containers thread in the main forum.

Enjoy your event and all your geocaching adventures!

Edited by mwellman

The basic run down of the event is as follows;

There will be a number (~15) registered caches which I hope to coordinate their publication to be the night before the event. Each cache will have a standard log book with the first three lines numbered, and a different shaped hole-punch. The FTF for each cache gets 3 points, the second to find gets 2, and the third to find gets 1 point. The top 3 in the points get a FTF prize at the diner (held the next evening) and everyone gets a ticket per unique stamp to be pulled for other prizes.

Because of the extremely limited variations of caches here, we are planning on placing the previous type caches as part of the event.

In the end, we'll have some added new caches to the local area, different caches (Where to Go, Letterbox, etc) introduced, cure the craving for the FTF group, and have some great wings at the end of it all.

I didn't include the extras of the event as the point of this thread was to get some input and ideas for interesting caches. The local hiding style is pretty consistent across all caches hidden here. So input from others in other parts of the country could add some difference in the way I was planning on hiding these caches.

Hi Mike and Jess,

It is important to talk to your reviewer now so that together you can plan for a successful event. You don't want to pick the week that he is on vacation or because of proximity errors, not have some caches published in time.

This is a great suggestion as was Entogeek's reference to the listing guidelines for event caches. Events are about getting together socially as a group, not going hunting for caches.

:mad: BQ