WherIDemo: Working With Inputs

Ranger Fox

WherIDemo: Working With Inputs

Experience Level: Beginner

Summary: This video introduces and instructs a viewer how to create inputs using the Groundspeak Wherigo Builder. By the end of the tutorial, the viewer should be able to create text and multiple choice inputs and handle correct and incorrect responses. Using the link at the top of the page, the viewer can download the project files and follow along or try out what s/he learns later.

---------------

I found a neat screen-cast program and wanted to play with it while at the same time doing something useful. I wanted to include an Urwigo section as well, but ran out of time.

It was a rather amusing experience trying to put together. I had no idea how difficult it was reading a script you had written on one monitor while presenting on the other while, at the same time, making sure you enunciate everything clearly, carefully, and slowly. Man, I sound boring that way...

While I don't intend to continue making videos on a regular basis, I wanted to post this on the off chance it would help someone create a cartridge. Enjoy, I guess.

I only had time to watch through to the point where you start the builder demo but this is excellent! Well done.

I did guess fish though :D

I'll come back and check out the rest later and give you som moe comments then. The fact that you've include the files as a way for the pupil to learn as you tutor is great.

I have now watched the entire video. You are to be congratulated Ranger Fox. That is quite a piece of work.

( This time I did not answer fish, but did go for tennis court! Doh! :blink: )

You've made a good aid to the new developer, covering not just how to use the software to accomplish the intended outcomes (managing inputs and zone status') but also giving helpful advices and tips along the way. It will be interesting to hear from anyone totally new to this building hobby as to how much it guides them.

There were times when you went a little 'click happy', when repeating actions you have described already. I would suggest you repeat key aspects during this to act as signpost reminders for those relying on it as their guide.

In particular, when going to the emulator, there was no explanation of what was happening and your movements were quite fast.

But that is meant to be constructive criticism. ;)

Great job!

Now could someone create an introduction to give more of an overview and explain how o set up zones and add media? Then tasks, and timers... etc... :)

Anyone have the time to do similar for Urwigo and Earwigo? :o:o

Paul.

I have Camtasia Studio 7. I created a script on my other monitor so I don't mess up and recorded the tutorial in segments. You can tell the cuts when my mouse leaves the screen and the Builder window becomes inactive (I can't activate it before Camtasia begins recording). Unfortunately, there's a bug in the software or something where, if I trash a recording and begin again, it could freeze my computer. That means I lose the exact recording dimensions I've specified and, when the computer restarts, I have to do my best to align the Builder window with the desktop background (from Digital Blasphemy, by the way) so people won't notice!