Caching via Alaskan Cruise?

Patudles

I am possibly taking a cruise through the inland passage in July or August. Ports of call will be Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Tracy Arms. Looking for help with a few easy to grab caches while visiting the areas. Don't know what my sightseeing agenda is yet in these ports. Any help would be appreciated. Also are there anyway of sightseeing in the ports without taking the expensive tours at all of them?

Ketchikan is not very big and walking distance of the ship is mostly tourist shops. I took the bus tour and enjoyed that. Close to the boat is Bin Caching TB Hotel. That was my only find there so I'm not sure what else is available.

Juneau was my next stop last year. Do take the tram to the top. I think there is a cache or two up there, but I didn't have them loaded. Jester may be able to help there. For a visit to a church not on the tourist list, try Juneau Coin & Token Reserve. Not too far away is Museum Trading Post. I took the tour to the Mendenhall Glacier. Once again I didn't check for caches there, but there are several. Check around the Mendenhall Glacier Earthcache.

Skagway is a small town with lots of visitors. Physical caches downtown are covered with muggles. Camp Skagway No. 1 is a virt in downtown Skagway. I tried a couple of others in town, but there were four ships in port and way too many muggles all over the place. I did take the narrow gauge railroad up to the pass and that was well worth the price. There is a cache up there, but I didn't want to take the chance on missing the bus back to the boat.

I didn't get to Tracy Arm so I can't help there.

Have a great trip. You will enjoy it.

Ketchikan is not very big and walking distance of the ship is mostly tourist shops. I took the bus tour and enjoyed that. Close to the boat is Bin Caching TB Hotel. That was my only find there so I'm not sure what else is available.

Juneau was my next stop last year. Do take the tram to the top. I think there is a cache or two up there, but I didn't have them loaded. Jester may be able to help there. For a visit to a church not on the tourist list, try Juneau Coin & Token Reserve. Not too far away is Museum Trading Post. I took the tour to the Mendenhall Glacier. Once again I didn't check for caches there, but there are several. Check around the Mendenhall Glacier Earthcache.

Skagway is a small town with lots of visitors. Physical caches downtown are covered with muggles. Camp Skagway No. 1 is a virt in downtown Skagway. I tried a couple of others in town, but there were four ships in port and way too many muggles all over the place. I did take the narrow gauge railroad up to the pass and that was well worth the price. There is a cache up there, but I didn't want to take the chance on missing the bus back to the boat.

I didn't get to Tracy Arm so I can't help there.

Have a great trip. You will enjoy it.

Wow, your infor is pure gold. Thank you. I was wondering about that tram ride. I am looking for inexpensive things but must see things to do. Everything is soooo expensive that I can't add to much more to my trip plus I am taking my 80 yr old mother with me who just had a complete knee replacement in May. We plan on taking the Cat trip up Tracy Arms, and one of the railtrips in Skagway so Juneau and Ketchikan we plan on not taking as expensive tours. So your help is very much appreciated. It is good to see there is something in each port close by. If you have any other words of wisdom for me on this trip please email it to me. This is my first Alaskan cruise. Also my first big cruise. Thanks again

Juneau was my next stop last year. Do take the tram to the top. I think there is a cache or two up there, but I didn't have them loaded. Jester may be able to help there.

The caches I did in Juneau are archived, but GC1E1BP is at the top of the tram. There's a disabled cache by Father Brown's Cross and an Earthcache nearby.

Thanks, Passage is booked and we are leaving Vancouver on July 31st.

Have a great trip and don't do what I did. On the night of the midnight chocolate extravaganza, I forgot it was going on and when I left the poker table went back to my stateroom and went to bed. :huh:

See if you can find my favorite totem pole (and you do have to take the bus tour in Ketchikan).

ListenToParents.jpg

Thanks, Passage is booked and we are leaving Vancouver on July 31st.

Have a great trip and don't do what I did. On the night of the midnight chocolate extravaganza, I forgot it was going on and when I left the poker table went back to my stateroom and went to bed. :lol:

See if you can find my favorite totem pole (and you do have to take the bus tour in Ketchikan).

ListenToParents.jpg

I am looking forward to see all the totem poles. I think the bus tour in Ketchikan is what I will do there. And I must not go to bed early on the night of the chocolate extravaganza! Thanks for the warning. It is now less than a month to go.