Garmin Colorado going paperless help?

n8aho

Hello,

I have attempted to use my Colorado for paperless geocaching but for some reason not having any success.

I can get the gpx file on to the gps but I cannot view the descriptions or logs.

I've tried both send to gps and also manually moved the file over.

j

Where did you put the gpx file on the Colorado? In the gpx folder? Did you make sure that the file that you moved retained its gpx extension? How have you tried to manually move it over? If you are moving it from a pq, I assume you unzipped the gpx file and that the cache name is listed under "geocaches." But in any event, the information in the Garmin Colorado Wiki is of help for all things having to do with the Colorado.

If memory serves me correct, the "send to gps" button on the cache page just loads coordinates (I don't have my Colorado with me at the moment, but if I am wrong, somebody will be sure to correct me). Using the gpx button to save the gpx file from the individual cache page, directing it to the Colorado's Garmin/gpx folder as a destination, works for me. In addition to moving the gpx manually to the Colorado (whether it be from the pq or the individual page), I sometimes use GSAK to load a pq (or three) and then move it over in one batch. It has a handy macro that does it automatically or you can export the gpx file it creates it to the proper location.

Edited by mulvaney

Where did you put the gpx file on the Colorado? In the gpx folder? Did you make sure that the file that you moved retained its gpx extension? How have you tried to manually move it over? If you are moving it from a pq, I assume you unzipped the gpx file and that the cache name is listed under "geocaches." But in any event, the information in the Garmin Colorado Wiki is of help for all things having to do with the Colorado.

If memory serves me correct, the "send to gps" button on the cache page just loads coordinates (I don't have my Colorado with me at the moment, but if I am wrong, somebody will be sure to correct me). Using the gpx button to save the gpx file from the individual cache page, directing it to the Colorado's Garmin/gpx folder as a destination, works for me. In addition to moving the gpx manually to the Colorado (whether it be from the pq or the individual page), I sometimes use GSAK to load a pq (or two) and then move it over in one batch. It has a handy macro that does it automatically or you can export the gpx file it creates it to the proper location.

After some more experimenting I am finding that some descriptions are there some are not,

GC1E7BE is not showing up properly on the gps for me but if I load it to gsak I can read the whole file.

One thing I noticed that when I read the description on the website, it says it's a micro.....when I see it on the gps it says no cache size chosen, is it possible it's some kind of a bug?

I can look the info up on my android phone but I would rather have it on the gps

If you are using GSAK to transfer the gpx, make sure that the settings in GSAK are set correctly. I have been known to lose the logs on occasion and now I double check it before I send anything to the unit. Beyond that, make sure your Colorado is up to date (can't hurt), delete the old gpx files from the unit, and try reloading a new one.

I have not experienced any problem with my Colorado reading the gpx file. Perhaps the moderator could move this thread to the GPS and Technology forum. Someone else might have experienced this.

Edited by mulvaney

If memory serves me correct, the "send to gps" button on the cache page just loads coordinates (I don't have my Colorado with me at the moment, but if I am wrong, somebody will be sure to correct me). Using the gpx button to save the gpx file from the individual cache page, directing it to the Colorado's Garmin/gpx folder as a destination, works for me. In addition to moving the gpx manually to the Colorado (whether it be from the pq or the individual page), I sometimes use GSAK to load a pq (or two) and then move it over in one batch. It has a handy macro that does it automatically or you can export the gpx file it creates it to the proper location.

After some more experimenting I am finding that some descriptions are there some are not,

GC1E7BE is not showing up properly on the gps for me but if I load it to gsak I can read the whole file.

One thing I noticed that when I read the description on the website, it says it's a micro.....when I see it on the gps it says no cache size chosen, is it possible it's some kind of a bug?

I can look the info up on my android phone but I would rather have it on the gps

Sounds like the ones with missing info were loaded from LOC files instead of GPX files.

Step 1....

1) Delete all GPX files on the unit.

2) Turn it on.

3) Put it back into mass storage mode and load up the cache files you want to use.

4) Turn it on and see if it works now.

If not, let use know and we will try step 2.....

Also, what firmware is the unit using?