Going paper to paperless

EdSally

Updated 6/15/10

My wife and I have just begun GeoCaching with a Nuve 765t and computer printouts.

We work together, one with the GPS, the other with paper printouts for the Cache. I want to get a hand held and have been looking into the Garmin 60CSx which I know is not paperless. I know the new 62 series will be paperless. The dilemma, is a paperless GPS gives us one device to share, where a 60CSx and a PDA, for example, gives each of us a device to work with.

I would be grateful for any advice you can provide. If you recommend waiting for the 62 series I'll wait. If you suggest that two devices would be a good choice for the two of us then what would you recommend and briefly explain how I can use the second device. We do ont have a smart phone, only the basic cell since we are out in the country and have no cell service.

Thanks

Edited by EdSally

I got a Delorme PN-40 for $220 at REI. I download up to 1000 caches at a time into the GPS, it brings in the notes, recent logs, size, difficulty, etc. When I find the cache, I mark it as "found" on the GPS. When I get home, I plug it back into my computer and it uploads to the geocaching.com website. It's pretty slick.

I also have a Blackberry with Geocache Navigator installed. The GPS is not nearly as accurate, but I always have the latest caches and mark them as found on my phone, then my geocaching.com account is updated. I just have to go type some field notes and that's it.

Updated 6/15/10

My wife and I have just begun GeoCaching with a Nuve 765t and computer printouts.

We work together, one with the GPS, the other with paper printouts for the Cache. I want to get a hand held and have been looking into the Garmin 60CSx which I know is not paperless. I know the new 62 series will be paperless. The dilemma, is a paperless GPS gives us one device to share, where a 60CSx and a PDA, for example, gives each of us a device to work with.

I would be grateful for any advice you can provide. If you recommend waiting for the 62 series I'll wait. If you suggest that two devices would be a good choice for the two of us then what would you recommend and briefly explain how I can use the second device. We do ont have a smart phone, only the basic cell since we are out in the country and have no cell service.

Thanks

For the two of us we prefer to use 2 devices when we are out together. The other yooper gets the GPSr, I get the Palm....with the hint! While he signs the log in the cache I log our visit notes in the Palm. I think I/he would feel left out if we didn't have 1/2 of the equipment.

However, I find it really difficult to juggle the GPSr and Palm (and usually the dog also) to cache alone. For those times I have used the Nuvi to get me close to the area then the GPSr to navigate to ground zero as I can't seem to follow the map on the GPSr and drive the car at the same time. It's still a pain to juggle the Palm and the dog but you do what ya gotta do!

I have just gotten an iphone with the caching app for those times when I might not have the GPSr with me and have some time to kill.

As you can tell I don't think you can have to many devises!!