Can't find caches

bill.aitken

New to Geocaching, I started out great, found the 3 I looked for on the !st day, and one on the second day. Got home yesterday, added 4 to my GPS. Spent a lot of time yesterday looking for one. No luck. Looked for 3 today, same result. Am I doing some thing wrong? The thing says small camo. What am I looking for, why can't I see them. I spent an hour at each place, Walked in from different directions. Must be near the place.Why can't I find them? :blink:

A simple thing to check, be sure that the caches you loaded are not multi caches and/or puzzle caches.

Also, as your GPS'r may be new to you. Be sure you did not change any of the projection and/or datum settings in your unit that do not match the Groundspeak standards.

Happy Hunting

Welcome to Geocaching bill.aitken!

Try to look for regular or large containers until you get a feel for geocaching and your GPS. Have a look at the Groundspeak store for some examples of geocaching container of all sizes. Also check out "Cool Cache Containers" in the General Forum - Geocaching Topics - many, many pictures of interesting, unique hides. Keep your eyes open for something off. Once you find one of these micros/nanos, it should be easier or not!

Both Manitoba and Saskatchewan have great Geocaching Associations where you find other cachers and suggestions for interesting caches to find.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

New to Geocaching, I started out great, found the 3 I looked for on the !st day, and one on the second day. Got home yesterday, added 4 to my GPS. Spent a lot of time yesterday looking for one. No luck. Looked for 3 today, same result. Am I doing some thing wrong? The thing says small camo. What am I looking for, why can't I see them. I spent an hour at each place, Walked in from different directions. Must be near the place.Why can't I find them? :blink:

I posted DNFs on 4 of my first 6 caches. Check the recent logs to make sure there hasn't been any recently reported problems. My first search was for a cache that in hindsight was likely missing. Also, you could try warming up with some lower diff and larger size caches.

Some micros are cleverly camo'd to fit in.

It could be you are looking for a Lampost hide, or a sprinkler.

What are the GC numbers of the caches? We can help.

Just a note..... Yesterday we found 60 caches, and still DNF'd 16. So it depends on how much effort you spend, and whether they are actually still there. In the city, they seem to get muggled (stolen).

Just a note..... Yesterday we found 60 caches, and still DNF'd 16. So it depends on how much effort you spend, and whether they are actually still there. In the city, they seem to get muggled (stolen).

60 caches is just over 1/4 the caches available in our city. Must be nice.

To the OP, Don't get frustrated with the first few DNF caches. Once you get a few finds under your belt, you will notice how caches are hidden in your area, and you will have a lot more luck. Each area has it's own style of cache hides.

Here in Sudbury, it is pretty easy for our family to find every cache we go looking for (~95% find rate), as we know the local hiding methods and patterns. When we travel and cache, tend to run into a lot more DNF caches, or longer searches, as the types of caches, and the methods they are hidden are different. I would have to guess, our find rate is ~65-75% on the road.