Geocaching with Dakota 10 - I am going CRAZY!

Geobounders

Gang - fairly new to Geocaching and I think I am having a brain freeze. HELP!!

We cache with the Dakota 10 and have access to Mapsource and Easy GPS.

Issue One: It appears we cannot download pocket queries with GEOCACHE info into the Dakota via Mapsource. They download as Waypoints and do not have the details, recent comments, etc, etc.

Issue Two: At some previous time the Dakota took a geocache pocket querie providing all the extra info. Problem is that I cannot seem to delete or override this information with a Easy GPS Geocache download.

Bottom Line: Shouldn't it be easier to simply download my pocket queries as GEOCACHES into my Dakota? Am I missing someting? It seems too darn complicated...or am I having a brain freeze and there is an easy answer?????? :(:D

Thanks

GeoBounders :D

Gang - fairly new to Geocaching and I think I am having a brain freeze. HELP!!

We cache with the Dakota 10 and have access to Mapsource and Easy GPS.

Issue One: It appears we cannot download pocket queries with GEOCACHE info into the Dakota via Mapsource. They download as Waypoints and do not have the details, recent comments, etc, etc.

Issue Two: At some previous time the Dakota took a geocache pocket querie providing all the extra info. Problem is that I cannot seem to delete or override this information with a Easy GPS Geocache download.

Bottom Line: Shouldn't it be easier to simply download my pocket queries as GEOCACHES into my Dakota? Am I missing someting? It seems too darn complicated...or am I having a brain freeze and there is an easy answer?????? :blink:;)

Thanks

GeoBounders :D

Oregons and Dakotas have an issue when (re)loading new gpx files. The way I understand it, the GPS has an internal database which gathers it's information from the /garmin/gpx folder. Sometimes, maybe most of the time, the unit will hang when you delete old files and then replace them with new ones. What many of us do is delete the pocket queries from the /garmin/gpx directory, then start up the unit with the folder empty. This seems to reset the internal database. Then, hook up the unit to your computer and put the new gpx files into the /garmin/gpx folder. Finally, start up your Dakota and everything should be just fine. I am not sure if this is a bug, or just the way you are supposed to do it all the time.

By the way, the best places to find information about your Dakota is the Dakota Wiki or the Garmin Oregon Wiki. Both the Oregon and Dakota work the same when it comes to Geocaching.