Nuvi 550 and custom maps

can you load custom maps on the Nuvi series, specifically the nuvi 550?

I had a 550 a year or so ago and it did NOT co-operate with my own custom maps, which worked perfectly on 60Cx, 76Cx, 276C, Zumo, and Quest. It seemed the DEM basemap was conflicting with it and it only allowed the custom map to display at it's top zoom level (20Km, the way I make my maps). When I disabled the Basemap (by renaming it) the custom maps worked as intended. I didn't keep the 550 and returned it to Costco.

I recently bought a Nuvi 765T and it has the shaded basemap but my same custom maps worked correctly on it. I don't know if the same firmware updates have been applied to the 550, or if it still would behave the same as mine did last year. Sometimes Garmin retroactively update older model firmware, other times they just put it in the new models, and many features of the xx5 Nuvi's are NOT in the xx0 Nuvi's.

Guess you should try the actual custom maps you want to use before you buy if it's important to you.