Please critique this NOTE

seventhings

See JU3899 at

www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=JU3899

Here's the story: In 1979, the original Mason-Dixon 79 Mile Stone was thought to be lost to highway construction, so it was replaced by a crownstone from another location. This crownstone is the mark described in the Official History. Sometime later, the Delaware Geological Society (DGS) recovered the original stone (in someone's backyard). In 1991, the DGS and MD State Highway Agency removed the replacement crownstone (to a museum) and re-set the original mile stone.

I posted this as a NOTE because the mark described in the Official History is a crownstone, and not the stone currently at the station.

Correct post?

By the way, Mason and Dixon typically used crownstones to mark every tenth mile (Mile 70, Mile 80, etc.), although neither the Official History nor the DGS indicates the origin of the replacement crownstone.

I think either a note or a not found would be appropriate here. As a matter of fact, with a little time and research, you might be able to sufficiently document a "destroyed" for this one. Do you know which museum the temporary replacement is in?

Also, crownstones were set every five miles. Based on some information from the Mason Dixon Line Preservation Partenership (I'm a member): "It is believed that the crownstone was originally the stone set at mile number 10". It does not specify how this conclusion was reached.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'