Disappointment

USMCGecko

So I started doing my research, loaded GSAK up with a ton of GCs around me, then filtered down to TBs near me. Went to each listing and researched the travel bug to see if I could help it on it's mission. Found 5 of them with in a 25 mile radius that I could help move along the way they wanted to move(when I go on my trip). I checked each listing to make sure it wasn't a likely muggled spot, had recent log entries saying the TBs were in the cache.

I run a new PQ right before leaving that morning to make sure nothing has changed. I then printed some info from GSAK so I had a clear list with my own notes(one of the caches had 2 TBs and one of them I wouldn't have been able to contribute to its mission, so I would have left it there)

So, I head out on my mission to retrieve these bugs.

NOT ONE CACHE HAD A TB IN THEM.... UGH

I had a good time nonetheless, just a little disappointing because I got excited thinking I could help these travel bugs along and now I don't have any.

I only logged one of them from my iPhone, the others are still on my GPS.

See, not everyone logs their visits immediately afterwards.

Then why wouldn't they sign the log that was in the cache? The most recent log on the caches I visited was 5-1-10 and one was 5-14-10. No Logs since then. I guess it's possible someone that visited the Cache in the past 20 days, still has yet to log their visits online, or I guess it's possible that someone visited the cache, took the TBs and didn't bother to sign the book and log the find too. I guess I just expect too much!

I only logged one of them from my iPhone, the others are still on my GPS.

See, not everyone logs their visits immediately afterwards.

Then why wouldn't they sign the log that was in the cache? The most recent log on the caches I visited was 5-1-10 and one was 5-14-10. No Logs since then. I guess it's possible someone that visited the Cache in the past 20 days, still has yet to log their visits online, or I guess it's possible that someone visited the cache, took the TBs and didn't bother to sign the book and log the find too. I guess I just expect too much!

In reality, not all log immediately, because some are traveling, and many do not use smart phones. They need to get to a terminal in order to log. If on vacation, that may take a week or longer.

It is best to remember patience whilst geocaching. Not all are equal, eh?

Posting notes as you did is good! :)

EDIT: Remember too, that TBs and GCs do go missing. Reasons for it far outnumber how many fingers and toes you have. The fact that they are missing is not something you can do too much about. The notes you left are about the best you can do.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks, I guess I still need to work on that part. I guess it got me worried but I ordered 10 trackables, have two on hand now, and will slowly introduce some of them into the wild as we find something interesting for them to do or be. I just worry that once I submit a TB it will just instantly lost.

Thanks, I guess I still need to work on that part. I guess it got me worried but I ordered 10 trackables, have two on hand now, and will slowly introduce some of them into the wild as we find something interesting for them to do or be. I just worry that once I submit a TB it will just instantly lost.

Read this thread: Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

I had spent time tracking that thread when I first really started getting into the game, but the basic principle is that there is nothing you can do. Send out a Trackable and just keep your fingers crossed is about all you can do.

Read this thread: Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

I had spent time tracking that thread when I first really started getting into the game, but the basic principle is that there is nothing you can do. Send out a Trackable and just keep your fingers crossed is about all you can do.

I look at it a little differently. If you follow the basic Longevity rules your bug will have a better chance to survive.

Make it durable, not too cute, add a mission tag and keep the mission easy to follow, and most importantly keep your expectations low. ;)

I can hear you on that. Last week a new cache was published in the area and after all the FTF hunters had been there, a TB was left behind. I was about to go on holidays - more than 400 miles the right direction and the ideal base to finish its mission. Well, I went there - and it was gone. It is still logged into the cache. Hope it is not lost.

But then again ... sometimes they make their mission miraculously. We recently helped a bug 100miles the right way and its mission was to go straight north. We watched it being brought 50 miles east and then 50 miles south. We did not know what was going on. Now it was picked up by someone who goes straight to the missions aim.

Steph

I can hear you on that. Last week a new cache was published in the area and after all the FTF hunters had been there, a TB was left behind. I was about to go on holidays - more than 400 miles the right direction and the ideal base to finish its mission. Well, I went there - and it was gone. It is still logged into the cache. Hope it is not lost.

But then again ... sometimes they make their mission miraculously. We recently helped a bug 100miles the right way and its mission was to go straight north. We watched it being brought 50 miles east and then 50 miles south. We did not know what was going on. Now it was picked up by someone who goes straight to the missions aim.

Steph

Now that is good. I had one that wanted to go somewhere special, some cachers stopped and made the find even adding that there were going right to where the TB wanted to go (it has a mission tag). They left it.

It has since been picked up and is traveling indiscriminately, but that is OK I guess.