deleting found caches

Ok, after finding caches and marking them as found i went to gc.com and uploaded my field notes,logged my finds and then deleted the file "geocache_visits.txt" . But when i look at found caches on the unit it self they are all still there. They are not in the folder anymore but they are still on the unit. Is there another way to delete found caches off the unit?

They will continue to show up there as such because they are in the gpx files. When you delete your gpx files that you loaded in they will go away. When you load in a new pocket query the found ones will not appear unless you tell the pocket query that you want them.

im using a garmin etrex gpsr. Store caches as custom pois on the data card to get past the 1000 internal waypoint limit. When I find a cache I mark it found by using the joystick to highlight it, enter, then save using the open teasure chest icon and map it. Doesn't actually remove the cache, instead kit places another icon over the first one. That allows me to determine which hides I'vde found already. When I nload the next queiry I select caches by icon (open treasure chest) and delete them.

I'm using a Colorado 400T and I guess I missed class the day they explained how to SIMPLY remove all found caches from this unit. It keeps telling me that 'maximum number of GPX files exceeded and I know a lot of them are ones I have found (and marked as such) or ones I have placed. I don't want to overlay another GPX file that will wipe out all the caches I have manually added as the ones I want to look for in various areas. It took a lot of time to put them in after looking at the details of each cache to see if I wanted to do it.

After I log all my finds I do a 'My Finds' PQ and can load that into GSAK or MacCaching but there has to be a simple way to tell the Colorado to erase them! Isn't that one of the most basic things you would want to do? Maybe I'm stupid or as a Mac user I am expecting that there should be a common-sensical approach to doing it. The half dozen apps that come from Garmin with the 400T are ill defined and overlap each other and are lame beyond belief.

Help!

Oops...Guess I was ranting!

:)

I'm using a Colorado 400T and I guess I missed class the day they explained how to SIMPLY remove all found caches from this unit. It keeps telling me that 'maximum number of GPX files exceeded and I know a lot of them are ones I have found (and marked as such) or ones I have placed. I don't want to overlay another GPX file that will wipe out all the caches I have manually added as the ones I want to look for in various areas. It took a lot of time to put them in after looking at the details of each cache to see if I wanted to do it.

After I log all my finds I do a 'My Finds' PQ and can load that into GSAK or MacCaching but there has to be a simple way to tell the Colorado to erase them! Isn't that one of the most basic things you would want to do? Maybe I'm stupid or as a Mac user I am expecting that there should be a common-sensical approach to doing it. The half dozen apps that come from Garmin with the 400T are ill defined and overlap each other and are lame beyond belief.

I think that the thing that is most confusing to people about .gpx files is that when used on a Garmin, it is sort of an "all or nothing" approach. A .gpx file is a file that contains one or more caches. When you load a .gpx to your Garmin containing 10 caches, for example, loading that single .gpx loads 10 caches to the GPS. The rub is that the only thing you can do to remove any of those 10 caches, including finds, is to remove the entire .gpx file. You cannot remove individual caches individually.

This approach takes just a little shift in how you plan and load your caches. You didn't say how you are generating your .gpx's, but here is a suggestion you can hopefully modify to fit how you are doing things.

It sounds as if you individually select the caches you want to go after. When you find a cache you want to do, put it into a bookmark. (Since you are getting the too many .gpx files error, it sounds like you might be loading caches individually - probably not the best approach if you have a lot.) If you have a lot of areas, you can organize the caches you want to go after into multiple bookmarks. To load the caches to your GPS, create pocket a query or queries from your bookmarks and load the resulting .gpx files to your Garmin.

Once you log your finds, go into your bookmarks and delete the finds. Every so often, generate new pocket queries from your bookmarks and load the resulting .gpx files onto your GPS. Everytime you generate a new pocket query and .gpx file from the same bookmark, the file name will be the same. When you copy the new .gpx to your GPS, overwrite the .gpx existing on your GPS. This way, all your unfound caches will still be there, and the found caches will have been removed (because they're no longer in your bookmark and thus your .gpx.

If you have loaded your caches one at a time, I think that you'll have to individually remove each .gpx file. I not totally sure about this, as I don't load caches individually. I'm pretty sure they show up as individual .gpx's though.

The only thing that is a pain if you cache a lot is removing the found caches from the bookmarks. I solved this problem by defining areas using caches along a route. (You can basically draw a route in a circle and make the area very wide.) Once a week, I generate a pocket query for each of these routes/areas. Pocket queries from routes have a lot more flexibility in filtering what is included. For mine, I don't include "?" caches, and also do not include caches that are not enabled (strips out disabled ones) and caches I have found. This way my "found" caches are removed weekly. The may not work for you since you individually select caches, but it might be easier to load more than you want on your GPS and then just go after those you don't want. (With my system, you also have the ability to not include caches on your ignore list, so I can keep some from loading by ignoring them.

Hope this helps!