Which Laptop gps antennas work with Garmin Mapsource ?

I would have done a search, but it's hard to search for terms like "garmin gps 20x" when the search function forces you to only search for terms over 5 characters. DUMB.

Anyways, I'm going to be navigating through a semi complicated set of trails soon. I have my garmin handheld, and a BC Backroads Mapbook, however having my location up on a fullscreen laptop display in mapsource with my Topo maps would be much better. So, for starters I was looking at the Garmin GPS 20x,

However, I've tried to see if I can use mapsource or atleast my canadian topographic maps with this antenna. Does anyone else use their laptop as a gps navigator while offroad ?

As an alternet solution, I also have a Garmin Etrex legend handheld. Can this be used as an antenna while plugged into the laptop via usb ? It has a "realtime" mode that it can be put into, unlike a lot of other gps handhelds.

Edited by Jonathancole

That sounds cool,I found this site http://www.maps-gps-info.com/index.html cant you just google laptop gps antennas,I am not sure but I think you can get Backroads books on cd,but whether they will work with mapsource I dont know.You can get Ibycus Topo Canada for free,ie scanned government maps but almost no trails,even Garmins Topo Canada V2 & V4 have almost no trails.I doubt they even have as many backroads as the Backroads boys have.I guess you can record tracks with a portable gps and then transfer them to your laptop later.Sounds like fun,I live in B.C. too.

Just checked Backroads web site http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/new-products/ and they have all their maps on sd cards for Garmin recievers.Thats cool those guys have tons of trails .

Edited by Forkeye

Mapsource does not do real time tracking.

You need to use either nRoute or Mobile PC.

nroute won't work as I am using v4 topo maps, and windows 7. Will Mobile PC allow me to load my garmin topo maps ?

Also, do I need to use the 20x gps antenna or can I get by with my garmin handheld (Etrex Legend HCx)

also, apparently you don't need a liscense key for that software if you have a garmin gps unit plugged in via USB, however I can't find a place to download the software, only the upgrade off garmin's site which won't install without having a previous version of mobile pc installed. Really though, what a bunch of bs, google earth will do realtime tracking for free, yet garmin mapsource/basecamp won't.

Mapsource does not do real time tracking.

You need to use either nRoute or Mobile PC.

nroute won't work as I am using v4 topo maps, and windows 7. Will Mobile PC allow me to load my garmin topo maps ?

Also, do I need to use the 20x gps antenna or can I get by with my garmin handheld (Etrex Legend HCx)

also, apparently you don't need a liscense key for that software if you have a garmin gps unit plugged in via USB, however I can't find a place to download the software, only the upgrade off garmin's site which won't install without having a previous version of mobile pc installed. Really though, what a bunch of bs, google earth will do realtime tracking for free, yet garmin mapsource/basecamp won't.

You can reverse convert Topo Canada v4 so it will work with nRoute. Google "MapReverseConverter".

You can buy a DVD version of Backroad Mapbooks. It works in nRoute.

You can connect your Legend HCx to the laptop and it will work as a GPS receiver with nRoute (and many other laptop nav programs).

Mobile PC is a whole different product. It's sort of like stuffing a Nuvi into your laptop. If you want to learn more about it check the Garmin Mobile PC section on www.laptopgpsworld.com.

For what it's worth, Google does nothing for free. They make their money from your eyeballs ... advertising revenue, just like commercials pay for "free" broadcast TV. If you're in love with "free" Google stuff, download Google Earth and either GooPS or EarthBridge, connect your Legend HCx and give it a go.

...ken...