MapSource software version 6.16.1 as of May 13, 2010

Garmin's just released a new version of Mapsource:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Change History

Changes made from version 6.15.11 to 6.16.1:

Added support for 64-bit USB device drivers.

Added generic label descriptions (less 'unknown' features).

Added support for importing relevant data from TCX files.

Added very small and very large symbol size selection.

Added support for editing waypoint address and phone number information.

Added New Zealand TM grid.

Added display of the total length of all selected tracks/routes in the status bar.

Added numeric sorting of routes, tracks and waypoints.

Added ability to send error reports directly to Garmin after a crash.

Improved memory issues when running MapSource under Windows 7.

Improved map projection for many map products.

Improved speed of 'finalizing' step when transferring data to SD cards.

Changed mouse-wheel functionality to zoom in and out.

Changed 'seasonal closures' avoidance option to 'date and time closures'. MapSource will now route over roads that have time-of-day and seasonal closures if this avoidance option is not checked.

Changed route via point symbol to small black dot.

Fixed various categories and subcategories that affected find operations and the display of POI categories and subcategories.

Fixed some auto-routing oddities.

Fixed remembering 'Find Nearest' dialog search category.

Fixed issues with 'Save As' file dialog (in some cases, existing files were overwritten without prompting).

Fixed some issues with the Swedish grid.

Fixed issue with address search when a city name was supplied.

Fixed loss of mixed-case characters when transferring routes to some USB devices.

Fixed an issue with the refreshing of the route avoidances dialog.

Fixed an issue with finding elevation features.

Fixed an issue where the comment field would be incorrect after creating a waypoint from a find result.

Fixed an issue where transferring data from a mass-storage device would fail.

Don't upgrade if you use custom maps. This version kills custom maps.

I would have to disagree with you there, all my custom maps are working fine. Some other issue or bad map maybe???

One I made myself and the other is Northwest Trails. Works fine in 6.15.11 but gone in 6.16.1. All I did was upgrade mapsource. Removed 6.16.1 and re-installed 6.15.1 and all is fine. Perhaps you could give me some clues on how I am suppose to run the update so I don't lose my maps.

Don't upgrade if you use custom maps. This version kills custom maps.

I would have to disagree with you there, all my custom maps are working fine. Some other issue or bad map maybe???

One I made myself and the other is Northwest Trails. Works fine in 6.15.11 but gone in 6.16.1. All I did was upgrade mapsource. Removed 6.16.1 and re-installed 6.15.1 and all is fine. Perhaps you could give me some clues on how I am suppose to run the update so I don't lose my maps.

I can't comment on the map you made yourself as I haven't seen that, but I just downloaded NWT v1.57 and installed it and it looks to be working fine, maybe you should reinstall the maps and see if that helps.

1273942722.jpg

As far as installing the MS update, all I did was download the update and install it. Nothing special there.

Edited by coggins

Well I uninstalled all the maps, uninstalled 6.15.11 and installed 6.16.1 and installed a 24K topo then tried the NW Trails maps. Unless anyone has any ideas I'll try Garmin but probably they don't have a clue.

All my homemade stuff works. How old were both maps? Were they compiled as "Products" or "Families"? If "Products" maybe download with later installer or re-compile.

Edited by seldom_sn

Well after un-installing everything down to zip, installing just 6.16.1 and then installing everything all over it works. Not what I would call an update. Still can't see NW Trails in Base Camp, but I guess that is only an issue if I ever decide to use Birdseye.