Pointless reference marks?

Black Dog Trackers

Today I looked for HV8460. I couldn't find it, but did find one of the reference marks. So I figured when I got home, I'd look at the 'original datasheet' (which I should've done in the first place) and find the vector between the reference mark and the station. Then I could go back and find the station.

The datasheet has no such information. I think I've seen this problem before. I went to the NGS PID search site and the datasheet was the same, of course.

Why bother to make (and note) a reference mark if it won't really point to the station? Perhaps the data did exist but didn't make it into the datasheet for some reason.

Is this a common problem, or is it just this PID?

You have found some omitted information in the description. There are probably over 1 million + control marks in existance and there are bound to be errors and omissions in the descriptions. Most of the time it just one person typing this data into a program and then its loaded into the database sometime later.

Not much you can do. It is what it is.

If you find the marks, you could include references in you revised description. But keep in mind, for it to be of any use it has to be done with care and precision.

example

Bearing from RM to station mark - S 30 deg E

Distance from RM to station mark - 45.09 ft (noting if slope or horizonal distance and weather RM is higher or lower that station mark)

This can involve some work and is best left for the professionals.

If you found the bolt at 5' feet NW from the fence line North at 'HOUSE 4400'. The Mark is at 'HOUSE 4501', 27' feet SE from the fence South,You can look at the PLAT Map for that area and get the dimensions of one block at that conjuncture.It should be fairly easy to find it in that manner. Yes that would be frustrating to find the reference angles not there.But that is part of the thrill of the GEOBENCHMARK HUNTER!!

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN* http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

I'm not at home with my records just now but I recall at least 2 RM's which were redesignated as the station. The disks were not changed and still bore an arrow pointing to the original station mark which apparently had been destroyed, though there was no notation to that effect in the NGS description.

One of them is High Point, NJ where a tall monument tower was built over the original station and one of its reference marks (embedded in a solid outcropping) was designated as the station. A second reference mark was set in the new wall around the monument, pointing to the original station. (Why not to the newly designated mark?) The data sheet still described the azimuth mark referenced to the original mark.

patrick & shirley

I have seen this with both disks and rock carvings. The description will mention the RM but give no range or bearing. If you do find the RM, the stamped or carved arrow gives you a heading. Here is a good example from today. The setting for the main mark was no longer "projecting", but I spotted RM #2. I laid my printout in line with the arrow. That made it easy to stay on the correct bearing while I scratched the forest fluff until I uncovered the correct piece of rock.

-WR

"Besides physical caches, we have VIRTUal and VIRTUeless."