New PN-40 Owner Tips and Tricks and Advice

I just ordered my first GPSr yesterday, a new Delorme PN-40, and would like to ask for any advice anyone might have to help me get the most out of caching with it.

Any advice on general use, interface with my Mac, tips for Windows will be welcome too. I will be getting a premium membership soon so advice on using PQ's for my 40 would help.

Pretty much anything you can tell me about using your 40 will help!

Thanks!

Cache Register, down-loadable from Delorme ($9.99), pretty much does it all. Downloads, PQ's, field notes, etc.

Doubt that it is usable for Mac, but works fine in Windows. :o

CR was released simultaneously for both Mac & Windows. When you pay your $10, you get a license for both versions (though I wouldn't recommend trying to use both at the same time, as they will get confused).

Cache Register, down-loadable from Delorme ($9.99), pretty much does it all. Downloads, PQ's, field notes, etc.

CR was released simultaneously for both Mac & Windows. When you pay your $10, you get a license for both versions (though I wouldn't recommend trying to use both at the same time, as they will get confused).

So your saying don't load something with it under windows, then when I'm on Mac OS try to use is again. That may cause the files I loaded to corrupt or something?

So your saying don't load something with it under windows, then when I'm on Mac OS try to use is again. That may cause the files I loaded to corrupt or something?

Right. Both the computer and the GPS keep track of the state of the GPS, so unless you manually move some data between the computers to keep them in sync, you'll get weirdness with the caches loaded onto the GPS.

Which raises another question now that I think about it - what if I have 2 PN-series devices? How can I use CR with both of them?

I have the same set up. I have Topo USA and GSAK running in Windows XP on VMWare Fusion. It takes just a few seconds to boot into Windows and get things running. You have to disable 3D View in TopoUSA and VMWare has to be set with USB 2.0 disabled. Other than that, it works splendidly with my PN-40.

Robert, how hard would it be to drop the newer version of GPSBabel into GoogleEarth's resource set and add the appropriate switches into its GPS dialogs?

Since GPSBabel is open source, you can sort of do this yourself. Edit vecs.c. Replace the quoted occurrence of the word "garmin" with something else. Replace the quoted occurrence of the word "delbin" with "garmin". Recompile. 'gpsbabel -i garmin -f usb:' should now read from a Delorme PN device. Replace Earth's GPSBabel with the one you just made. Done.