Found an Azimuth Mark, what to do with it?

Williams2727

We found a benchmark in Marysville, CA that we cannot locate in any database. It is on the bridge that crosses the northern tip of Ellis Lake. It is labeled as an azimuth mark and has the expected arrow in the center. The markings are as follows:

Center:

"Marysville 1939"

--the arrow--

"AZ 3 1978"

to the right of center:

"Azimuth Mark"

Around the left and right edges, it says:

"For information or to report damage, write: The Director, National Geodetic Survey, Washington DC"

I have pictures of it with the exact coordinates. What do I do with this information? Where can I add it so others can locate it?

It probably is not in the geocaching data base, so you can't log it as such. It is part of the set of disks associated with triangulation station MARYSVILLE. Read the pinned thread about disks near a tri station.

The main station does not seem to be listed, but RM1 and RM2 have their own PIDs because they were used as elevation benchmarks in addition to their original purpose of locating the triangulation station. RM2 has been found recently. So you could place a note on the geocaching page for KS0925 MARYSVILLE RM2.

Waymarking is also an option, but noting it on the RM page makes more sense to me.

Edited by Bill93

Its not in the db because there is "No geodetic control at this mark".

Its described with the main station description, it has no has lat, lon, elev determined for it so there is no data to put on a datasheet.

KS0925, KS0924 have elevations on them

KS0924.The orthometric height was determined by differential leveling

KS0924.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1991.

KS0924

Edited by Z15

Sorry for the confusing reply. When I said it was not in the geocaching database, I was refering to the main station (KS0923) that I linked to - not the azimuth mark. I can see how my misuse of pronouns could be misunderstood.

I understood perfectly, but I still don't see why the station mark isn't in the Geocaching database...