Benchmark with my name on it.

Web-ling

While traveling through Memphis, I ran across a benchmark named RICH, which is pretty cool, because my first name is Rich. Well, I couldn't find the darned thing. If it still exists, it's buried under a couple of feet of wood chips in the middle of a playground. (under the monkey bars, I think...)

At least I found RICH AZ MK, RICH RM 1, and RICH RM 2. Anyone else find a benchmark with their name on it?

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

You found one of my little secrets! I have about 100 benchmarks around the country with some form of my last name, BARNES. This includes such things as BARNESVILLE and similar. But the closest I've come to finding any is in the same little county where my wife's family is from. I found HB1851 but since it is a metal rod, the designation is not stamped on it. It has a survey disk as an azimuth mark, HB1850, but I couldn't find that one! I've looked in Tennessee for a group that I think were all lost when the interstate was built and one in Massachusetts where I didn't want to deal with walking behind someone's house out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the winter to look for a drill hole. But I've got a bunch more to look for no matter where I go! And I haven't even check for designations matching my first name!!

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

You found one of my little secrets! I have about 100 benchmarks around the country with some form of my last name, BARNES.

If you come to the Scranton, PA area, you can try looking for this one: LY2720. It's actually just a few miles from my home, but I haven't searched for it yet. LY2718 would be another good one, but it appears to be missing (except for the azimuth mark).

Zhanna (who has no chance of her name ever appearing on a benchmark)

quote:
Originally posted by Zhanna:

If you come to the Scranton, PA area, you can try looking for this one: http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=LY2720. It's actually just a few miles from my home, but I haven't searched for it yet. http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=LY2718 would be another good one, but it appears to be missing (except for the azimuth mark).

Zhanna (who has no chance of her name ever appearing on a benchmark)

I have both of those in my file of BARNES markers. It's nice to hear that someone has their eye on them! There is another that is not too far from you, KW2632, about 41.43 miles from LY2720. If you take a picture of any of them, send me a copy please!

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

If you take a picture of any of them, send me a copy please!

If I am able to locate them, I'll post the photos with my log as usual, and I'll be sure to send you a better version as well. No problem! icon_smile.gif

Zhanna

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

While traveling through Memphis, I ran across a benchmark named Rich...

You might try looking up these:

JC1533 DESIGNATION - RICH

JC1531 DESIGNATION - RICH FOUNTAIN SACRED HEART CH

JE1899 DESIGNATION - RICH HILL

JE1900 DESIGNATION - RICH HILL MUNICIPAL TANK

FB2634 DESIGNATION - RICH MTN LOT

There's several more, but they are all extended names such as RICHARDS, RICHARDSON, RICHLAND, RICHMOND, RICHWOODS. Actually, RICHWOODS isn't that far from me, about 38 miles. It's named after a small, nearby community.