Stacks, tanks, bolts, and cupolas, oh my!

Rygel

Hi all this is my first post. I'm totally new to geocaching.

I have a question about all these terms for types of benchmarks. Is there a place where I can get a description of each type?

There seem to be alot in my area and I'd like to know if they look different then the typical disk.

Thanks.

(water) tanks, (smoke) stacks, and cupolas are just what the dictionary would say. You shouldn't expect to find a brass marker. The structure is the benchmark.

(I'm relatively new also, so grain of salt time...although I have found benchmarks of these types.)

I think "bolt" is different, since that would seem to be a metal object that was created to help locate the benchmark?

(If surveytech says anything different, believe him rather than me.)

Post a specific benchmark PID if you think this answer is wrong...

Walking along a major arterial street in a typical city, you are probably passing within a few feet of a benchmark at an average rate of at least one per block, though most are not documented in such a way as to be readily available to the public. Most are at intersections, for maximum visibility in multiple directions, in or near sidewalks, for convenience and safety. Most are established by agencies or companies in the transportation, communication and utility industries to support their own projects and are shared with others at their discretion. Some are willing to allow public access to their information, others are unwilling or reluctant to provide it to anyone, even surveyors, primarily due to economic and liability concerns.

[This message was edited by survey tech on January 31, 2003 at 07:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by survey tech:

Walking along a major arterial street in a typical city, you are probably passing within a few feet of a benchmark at an average rate of at least one per block....

I have become so fanatical about watching for these things. Family and friends have started to give me the furry eyeball when I point out markers as we drive around town. You're not kidding, these things are everywhere. So I get the furry eyeball A LOT.

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

LOL, I get that reaction from my wife, and polite feigned interest from friends.

Hidden monuments of great importance, the secret locations of which are known only to those with the knowledge and skill to find them! Yet, thousands more have become hidden from all, lost for decades, waiting for us to cast aside their shroud of time.

The benchmark is out there!

Hmmm, now WHERE in the house did I put my GPSr? icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, they are everywhere...The list I have at the office is much more extensive than those listed on this site. Surveying for the past 20 years, I have used most of the ones in my area at one time or another. It will be fun to track them down again and log them in. icon_wink.gif

Looks like I'll have to go back to one I logged as "couldn't find it" and log it as a find. (Once I go back and get a picture, of course.) It was my first benchmark and I thought I was looking for an inscribed bolt. I've mostly found disks, towers, spires and other 'obvious' stations so far.

As for the pointing out benchmarks, I have to say that my experience has been the same. My wife enjoys caches, but usually doesn't come along for benchmarking. Oh well, I guess it's a Dog thing and not a Raccoon thing! icon_wink.gif

Barbarian - Founder of the Barbarian Illuminati

Don't make me use the mind control laser on you!

SJ Games - http://www.sjgames.com

GURPS, Ogre, INWO, Munchkin and more. Fnord