New member in Chelmsford Essex Area needs to get started

We hope to be there tomorrow. I have a Magellan 315 and have used it all the time since starting caching a few years ago. I have maps etc on Mio PDA but still like the Magellan.

Make sure you are in the correct map datum system of WGS84 before starting as that threw us at the beginning. Also make sure you get your East or West entered correctly especially if you are drifting over to our part of the world near the meridian line. Not sure how much you know about the 315 but all you do is hit 'mark' then scroll down to add a name for the mark and enter the co-ords. Once you have saved, just hit 'go-to' and find the mark you entered. I tend to use the screen that shows the DST at the top and just keep the 'dot' in the middle of the screen at the bottom. The status screen with the battery indicator will show you if you are 'locked' to the statellites. You genarally need a minimum of 3 solid bars. Battery life isnt bad. With rechargeables the battery bar is never completely filled. Will easily last a day caching on high capacity rechargeables.

You can connect the GPS into your computer via a cable which I used to have at one stage but think you need a serial port.