Ohio-Michigan boundary monuments

GrizzFlyer

One of my benchmarking quests is to locate every original granite monument that still exists along the Ohio-Michigan border. Some are listed in the NGS database, some are not.

Many thanks to CallawayMT for steering me to a reprint of the original survey when these monuments were placed. I purchased that book, and it is invaluable if you're looking for the monuments that are not in the NGS database. The link to it is Michigan-Ohio Boundary. I assumed that every monument would be about a mile apart, and while that is true in many cases, some are much farther and/or much shorter than a mile. I still have a lot of work to do on this project, but the book is heading me in the right direction.

This book also has information on the rest of the southern border as well as the western border of Michigan. Lots of interesting info on the Ohio-Michigan boundary dispute, and how that was resolved. (Michigan won, Toledo was given to Ohio.....) :) .

The state and international boundaries are my favorites. Here are a few others that I have found and followed:

Idaho - Washington Boundary

USGS Bulletin 466

North Dakota - South Dakota Boundary

Quartzite Border

Idaho - Montana Boundary

USGS Bulletin 170

Canadian Boundary from Washington to Minnesota

Joint report upon the survey and demarcation of the boundary between the United States and Canada from the Gulf of Georgia to the northwesternmost point of Lake of the Woods

Just a few others that I have read and used for searching out historical boundary monuments.

Kurt

(Michigan won, Toledo was given to Ohio.....) :o .

LOLzer

The state and international boundaries are my favorites. Here are a few others that I have found and followed:

Is there an index to the USGS Bulletins like those that you found on Google Books?

The USGS Bulletins are sometimes tough to find, but you can do a search on most University Library searches and then go to Google Books and try to find an electronic version.

Very hit and miss at times.

Kurt

I chanced upon a North Dakota - South Dakota Boundary Post last week.

4dd158fc-eda7-4514-9a16-6db5c9fa28eb.jpg

ND - SD #329

There are ones with PID's a few miles away both east and west - maybe next trip. MEL

Mike,

The SC stands for "Standard Corner" and the five Notches indicates that this is the Standard Section Corner between sections 31 & 32 in North Dakota.

The line was run with reference to the PLSS in North Dakota and monuments generally, but not always, placed on the 1/4 and section corners for North Dakota. The 1/4 corners were appropriately marked "1/4", rather than notches. The notches start at the range lines with 6 notches and run west with one notch between sections 35 & 36, two notches between sections 34 & 35, etc.

You really need to get "The Quartzite Boundary", you would really appreciate the historical perspective of the line after finding a couple.

If you get over to the Montana Line, you can check out the terminal Monument.

Boundary Mon 360M 45.35Ch

62f81266-d968-4b00-84ed-0a3d0c04d633.jpg