i need to know the best maps to download

well i use my pn-40 for all out door fun....I need to know what the best map format to down load to get the best detail...I do alot of fly fishing and the more detail the better

It's a matter of personal preference and use. IMO quadrangles are essential, they show section lines, county, state, city, park, reservation ... etc. boundaries. After that Color aerial imagery, which does more good in the wide open spaces than the city (again IMO).

Cheers,

Panda Inc

It's a matter of personal preference and use. IMO quadrangles are essential, they show section lines, county, state, city, park, reservation ... etc. boundaries. After that Color aerial imagery, which does more good in the wide open spaces than the city (again IMO).

Cheers,

Panda Inc

I've just begun looking into maps for my new GPS (a Magellan Triton 2000) and am confused by some of the terminology, such as quadrangles, grids, datum, 1:24K, etc. Does anyone know of a resource that covers map basics such as this? The forums are great for getting answers to specific questions, but I'm basically looking for a primer. Thanks.

I've just begun looking into maps for my new GPS (a Magellan Triton 2000) and am confused by some of the terminology, such as quadrangles, grids, datum, 1:24K, etc. Does anyone know of a resource that covers map basics such as this? The forums are great for getting answers to specific questions, but I'm basically looking for a primer. Thanks.

This may help you with some of that knowledge.

http://edc2.usgs.gov/pubslists/booklets/us...ps/usgsmaps.php

If not, there's an enormous amount of free information available on the USGS site. Browse around in there and see if you pick up a few things.

- Zurfco