Archived Logs

abra123cadabra

Today I received two notifications that a log has been added to a cache on one of my bookmark lists.

The first one was a "needs maintenance" log as the cache hasn't been found in more than a year (D1/T1).

The second was a "performed maintenance" log stating: "Cache checked yesterday and is in place".

Following the link in the notification to the maintenance log, I get the following error: "You cannot read archived log entries." and this log is also missing on the cache page.

Is there an option for the CO to archive logs (own and those of others) or can he only delete logs?

When a log is deleted, would I see the same error message (if I followed the link in the email)?

Posting a maintenance log and then archiving/deleting it got rid of the "needs maintenance" icon on the cache listing but what I don't understand is why the CO would not want other cachers to see the confirmation that the cache is still there.

There is at least one more cache by the same CO that is missing DNFs. No visible maintenance logs, never found since placed in September 2007 and only 6 notes and 1 DNF. The story is very interesting and I have the confirmation from the cacher with the only DNF that his previously logged DNFs have been deleted without explanation. Granted, it's a D5/T5 rated multi but the starting point is in an urban area so I would expect to see more logs.

I logged a DNF and "needs maintenance" on another cache (D1.5/T1.5) not found for more than a year politely asking the same CO to check if the container indeed is in place. My "needs maintenance" was deleted and a note posted that the cache is still there. Read through ALL previous logs and searched again without success. I seriously doubt that the container is still in place but will contact a previous finder on this one.

Overall I am not sure if the logs for caches owned by this CO are "complete" and I seriously doubt that some of them are really still in place despite a note that they are.

Anyone got a similar experience or an explanation for this behaviour?

abra

Archiving and deleting mean the same thing on geocaching.com.

That's good to know.

So the maintenance has been logged to get rid of the "needs maintenance" icon.

But why delete it afterwards and thus taking away the information that the cache is still there (if indeed the maintenance has been performed and the cache is in place, which I doubt)?

abra

Archiving and deleting mean the same thing on geocaching.com.

That's good to know.

So the maintenance has been logged to get rid of the "needs maintenance" icon.

But why delete it afterwards and thus taking away the information that the cache is still there (if indeed the maintenance has been performed and the cache is in place, which I doubt)?

abra

The CO can delete any log they choose. The only notification that is sent is to the person that places the log.

The performed maintenance log doesn't clear the needs maintenance attribute. The CO has to go in and turn it off, just as if they added and then deleted the attribute.

A needs archived log is sent to the local reviewer no matter how fast it is deleted. I can't remember if the needs maintenance log is sent to the reviewer or not.

Some COs are sensitive to all bad press and will delete logs for the strangest of reasons.

Edited by Hitech MD

If I'm dipping a coin I immediately delete (read archive) the log from the cache page. Perhaps the person that made the log changed their mind and archived the log.

I do the same thing when I forget to drop the TB with the find log. An oops note just takes up space.

If I'm dipping a coin I immediately delete (read archive) the log from the cache page. Perhaps the person that made the log changed their mind and archived the log.

I do the same thing when I forget to drop the TB with the find log. An oops note just takes up space.

I also do that...and I wish more people would as these notes are pretty useless to those using paperless GPS units.

The performed maintenance log doesn't clear the needs maintenance attribute.

Logging an owner maintenance log DOES clear the needs maintenance attribute. In fact, it's the only way to clear it on certain cache types, where the maintenance attribute does not exist in the attribute set.

I can't remember if the needs maintenance log is sent to the reviewer or not.

no, it isn't.

Re the OP's post: some cache owners like a "clean" cache page. Found logs only. And a few of them want only really positive happy found it logs. They delete logs because they can.

When found logs are deleted, cachers often relog or get them back by one means or another. Most cachers just let the DNF, and need maintenance log deletions go.

Logging an owner maintenance log DOES clear the needs maintenance attribute. In fact, it's the only way to clear it on certain cache types, where the maintenance attribute does not exist in the attribute set.

That's interesting. I could swear that I've had to remove the "needs maintenance" attribute by unchecking it on the edit attributes page. Even after a "performed maintenance" log. I'll have to pay closer attention the next time the situation arises.

Edited by Hitech MD