UK post code search has changed

red chicken

I used to just type in my post code to find all the caches near to me (or anywhere else in the UK for that matter). For some reason something has changed, when I type in my post code a dialog box appears telling me "multipule locations have been found" and a list of locations to choose from, all of which are in Italy!! no good to me in the UK. Can someone tell me how to get ride of the multipule locations box?

I can't tell you how to get rid of the multiple locations box. FWIW, I agree that it's a nuisance that I hope TPTB correct really soon (although I won't hold my breath).

However, you can prevent the Italian locations from appearing by adding ", UK" after the postcode. For example, instead of searching for "TR1 1AL" try searching for "TR1 1AL, UK". While this doesn't get rid of the "Multiple Locations" box all the time it does in a fair few, and those where you get the dialog box will only contain UK locations!

HTH,

Geoff

I also find that if I type in my postcode (ST15 0HP) I get multiple places to choose from - some of which include ST8 locations! Typing it without the space (ST150HP) isn't recognised at all. But typing ST15 0HP UK goes straight to my local caches!

This feature has been broken since the recent "upgrade" to the website, and in practice I'd access my local caches via my profile instead.

Chris

FWIW, I don't think this postcode thing is a GC issue. GC uses the Google API to geolocate the postcodes (I assume, since having a postcode database all to themselves can't be cheap), so you'll have to put up with the shortcomings that that entails. I built a crappy web app some time ago using the Google Maps API, and always had to append "UK" at the end of any postcode to get it in the right location: after all, how does Google know you mean ST8 or whatever in the UK over the same postcode in Venezuela? Of course, YMMV.