Help with deciding on a GPS

hi there - i am trying to decide between buying a used delorme PN-20 and adding a GPS antenna to a new IPOD touch we just bought.

i would love to hear what other people have been using and are enjoying.

if we go for the ipod option - there are naby receivers from ~50$ and up up... are the cheapo ones any good???

thanks

K

hi there - i am trying to decide between buying a used delorme PN-20 and adding a GPS antenna to a new IPOD touch we just bought.

i would love to hear what other people have been using and are enjoying.

if we go for the ipod option - there are naby receivers from ~50$ and up up... are the cheapo ones any good???

thanks

K

Between the two, the Pn-20. If price is not a concern, buy any of the Garmin Oregons or Garmin Dakotas.

iPods & iPhones are great devices, but they're too fragile for outdoor use and their batteries don't last very long.

The PN-20 is a nice device & great bang for the buck. But it's an aging model & many people get frustrated by it's slow performance. It may keep up with you at a walking/bicycling pace, but gets heavy lag at a driving pace :P Maybe consider adding a few more $'s and grab the PN-30 instead, it's much more modern & responsive.

What NordicMan says is true.

You can nickle & dime your way along... or you can just pay up and get what it is that you need now. Forego "keeping up" by replacing or upgrading a bit at a time. It costs you far more in the long run, and you end up with equipment that just sits in the corner 'cuz nobody wants outdated equipment. :P

If Delorme is you choice (it is a good one) go the route of the PN-30 or PN-40. No extra devices to carry, everything is all in one unit (including good maps).