Garmin Oregon 400t Review

I just picked up a Garmin Oregon 400t.

I love the paperless geocaching features. No more having to carry my GPS and my Axim to read the cache pages. The only thing I miss is being able to download a huge cache list, then being able to filter the list in the field. Also it was nice to be able to write your cache logs in the field and upload them later, but you have to walk before you crawl. Just being able to read the cache pages and log your finds is a big improvement.

I was a little disappointed when it came to the map. When it said topographic map I was expecting USGS topo maps. The Garmin Topo maps do show some terrain and elevation, so by definition I guess they are topographic. They're better than looking at a blank screen with major roads (which is what I'm used to). I just wish they had some more detail or landmarks on them. I guess you can purchase USGS maps as an add-on. I just wish they were included.

Again on the wish list ...

Recharge rechargable batteries without having to remove them from the device.

Expand the wireless exchange feature or add bluetooth to allow upload/download of GPX files from computer to GPS without having to use a cable.

Screen time-out should have a "remain on while navigating or changing position" feature and not be solely dependant on touchscreen activity.

I just picked up a Garmin Oregon 400t.

I love the paperless geocaching features. No more having to carry my GPS and my Axim to read the cache pages. The only thing I miss is being able to download a huge cache list, then being able to filter the list in the field. Also it was nice to be able to write your cache logs in the field and upload them later, but you have to walk before you crawl. Just being able to read the cache pages and log your finds is a big improvement.

I was a little disappointed when it came to the map. When it said topographic map I was expecting USGS topo maps. The Garmin Topo maps do show some terrain and elevation, so by definition I guess they are topographic. They're better than looking at a blank screen with major roads (which is what I'm used to). I just wish they had some more detail or landmarks on them. I guess you can purchase USGS maps as an add-on. I just wish they were included.

Again on the wish list ...

Expand the wireless exchange feature or add bluetooth to allow upload/download of GPX files from computer to GPS without having to use a cable.

Screen time-out should have a "remain on while navigating or changing position" feature and not be solely dependant on touchscreen activity.

The topo maps included are about 1:100K (100' contours). You can get 1:24K (20' contours) for free from GPSFileDepot.com Linky

If it was me, I'd rather get the Oregon 450 for the better screen and 3-axis compass but not the 'T' model because the included topos are, as you have seen, just OK.

That's a bit of a liability gotcha for manufacturers that use AA cells. Unlike a current model phone or digital camera where the size of the battery controls what it is (specifically, what chemistry is being used - usually some kind of LiPoly), a AA could be darned near anything from a simple CZn cell, an alkaline, a lithium, NiCd, NiMH, NiZn .. some of which should never be charged, and the remainder of which (apart from NiCd and NiMH) can't use the same charging method without risk of destroying the cells or worse.

The trade-off is either a battery you can't swap out quickly with something from the nearest 7-11 vs something that you can. They could provide (at extra cost) an internal charger in the former case, but cannot safely do so in the latter case.

That's a bit of a liability gotcha for manufacturers that use AA cells. Unlike a current model phone or digital camera where the size of the battery controls what it is (specifically, what chemistry is being used - usually some kind of LiPoly), a AA could be darned near anything from a simple CZn cell, an alkaline, a lithium, NiCd, NiMH, NiZn .. some of which should never be charged, and the remainder of which (apart from NiCd and NiMH) can't use the same charging method without risk of destroying the cells or worse.

The trade-off is either a battery you can't swap out quickly with something from the nearest 7-11 vs something that you can. They could provide (at extra cost) an internal charger in the former case, but cannot safely do so in the latter case.

Furthermore, such upgrade would require a physical hardware modification making the unit a different model altogether. It wouldn't be an upgrade to an existing unit.

But yeah... Sometimes I do wish I could plug the 550 into a charger too, instead of swapping batteries.