Best lake district routes?

zpyder

I'm off to the lake district for my 2nd time, for a week on a saturday. I went this time last year with an old school friend who had twisted his ankle a few weeks prior, so long/challenging walks weren't an option, though we still managed scafell somehow!

This year I think karma has gone full circle, and I'm going with a colleague from work who is...active to say the least. He's taking his running kit, and has said he wants to do "all the big ones/good ones". Seeing as Scafell took a lot out of me last year, I think I'll be the one lagging behind this year!

Anyway, I'm just after suggestions for peaks/places and the routes to take for the trip. I think Scafell and Helvellyn are mandatory, provided there isn't too much snow on the peak (I don't fancy striding/swirral edges if there's snow and ice up there!).

This really leaves us with only 3 other days to walk. I have no problem with low/easy/short stuff, but selling it to my friend might be another matter. So if anyone can recommend their top 5 places in the lakes it'd be appreciated, hopefully I can figure out some places that aren't going to be too bad after doing Scaf/Helv which are equally as spectacular!

Caches aren't a priority, but it'd be nice to grab some on the way!

Blencathra is one of my favourites, Sharp Edge is one of the best aretes in the Lakes, but Halls Fell is good for a slightly milder ascent.

Great Gable from Wasdale is good. Scafell / Foxes Tarn / Scafell Pike can be done from the same start point.

High level circuit of Buttermere?

You might find some other ideas on my website:

http://www.blacknail.org.uk/

Have fun.

Regards,

Neil

It's hard to pick somewhere that's bad in the Lakes! :) My favourites from last year are Old Man of Coniston and Wetherlam. Both are good-sized fells which should suit your friend, but are within the capabilities of any reasonably fit walker.

We climbed Coniston from the village, stopping at Low Water for lunch and returning via Dow Crag, Brown Pike and the Walna Scar road. There are quite a few caches along the route. Oh and a pub on the way down! :D

Much quieter is Wetherlam: start from the car park at Low Tilberthwaite and climb via Wetherlam Edge if you like a bit of a scramble (we came down this way - not for the faint-hearted!). Take the diversion to Black Sails for the cache there, and return via the ridge to the south and look out for the path down the eastern side of the fell (not marked on the OS maps but obvious when you're there). This joins the public FP along Hole Rake just by a small tarn, and you can follow this back via Yewdale Beck.

Other lower places I'd recommend if the tops are a bit icy are Catbells, Low Rigg/High Rigg, Skelwith Bridge/Loughrigg/Elterwater (compulsory stop at the Britannia Inn!), Kentmere valley (but arrive early to bag one of the limited parking spots), Troutbeck valley (ditto), Borrowdale... ooh I wish I was there now!

I can email you the GPX or MMO files if you're interested - send me a PM if so.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for those suggestions guys. As I've hardly done anything before (bar Scafell, Helm and Aira last year) it's all pretty much new to me and I hope to do them all eventually!

Some of those suggestions look promising, I'll hopefully have some more time to look into them more tomorrow!

I'd second Blencathra! I'd be up there every day if i could!

Of the 'biggies' Skiddaw is probably the least enjoyable - just an endless slog whichever route you take.

For something a little off the beaten track, try Black Coombe & White Coombe in the southwest, near Millom. You're unlikely to meet another soul all day. The Duddon Valley is stunning too. Not sure of specific routes to suggest though.