eXplorist GC

does have a compass, does not have an electronic compass...

One downside here is the use of a standard rather than electronic compass, meaning that you need to start walking before the compass can accurately register the direction to the waypoint.

Rich and I seem to disagree on the terms here.

As the device knows your position, it can estimate your motion based on successive position fixes and use that to simulate compass-like behavior. It cannot determine magnetic north in the absence of motion and even then, is bound by GPS accuracy for those position fixes. If you spin it around in your hand while you're standing still, the arrow will not move. I'm sticking with my definition. It does not have a compass by any reasonable and common definition of a compass. Adding the word "electronic" to a computer-based product to distinguish it from "non-existent" seems kind of bogus to me.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. So essentially it is simulates the function of a compass based on a series of location checks. (is there an appropriate term for that?)

For geocaching, how much effect would this lack of functionality have on finding a cache?

For geocaching, how much effect would this lack of functionality have on finding a cache?

Very little, since once you get within range of a cache you need to stop looking at the GPS and start looking for the logical hide location, along with the description and info given.

Rich and I seem to disagree on the terms here.

As the device knows your position, it can estimate your motion based on successive position fixes and use that to simulate compass-like behavior. It cannot determine magnetic north in the absence of motion and even then, is bound by GPS accuracy for those position fixes. If you spin it around in your hand while you're standing still, the arrow will not move. I'm sticking with my definition. It does not have a compass by any reasonable and common definition of a compass. Adding the word "electronic" to a computer-based product to distinguish it from "non-existent" seems kind of bogus to me.

Oh, you and your precise language! <_<

Okay, lets say it has a compass screen. What terminology would you suggest to describe this versus what the industry has been calling an electronic compass? I think simulated compass would confuse people as much or more than the existing lexicon.

As a programmer of a few dozen languages, precision of expression is deeply ingrained into me. :-)

The industry in general is pretty sloppy with this term, IMO. The Magellan setup screen calls it a compass, but it's not like we run around calling analog watches compasses just because they can sort of be used like one. It seems wrong to call a "real" GPS compass an "electronic compass" - what else would it be? Hydraulic? Pneumatic? That seems to just be an artificial distinction.

By the phxl's definition above, we could have the following conversation:

Does a Garmin 60CSx have a compass?

Yes.

Does a Garmin 60Cx have a compass?

Yes.

We could say the question poser has the wrong question, but that's tacky and it lead to the "wrong" answer here.

I actually typed and deleted a response to "Is there an appropriate term for that?" with "It's called 'not having a compass'" but that seemed too snarky and I was too tired to type more at the time. :-)

I suggest we stick with the parlance that the presence of a magnetic sensor is a requirement for considering it a compass.