Forums Search Request

Spectra20

Can the search requirements be lowered to 3 or more? I've often tried to search the forums without luck because of the minimum 5 character limit.

As a new Groundspeak forum member I feel the need to search every topic before posting. Especially if I have a question. I know, my post count is almost 0 but there is a reason for that. I try to 'find' my answer first.

I am not new to forums, I'm an admin on two other forums. However, they are vBulletin sites, maybe its easy for a vB site to search for 2 or 3 char minimum and not so for ipb.

It sure would make things easier. Just limit the results to a couple hundred if its a load issue.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I have my fingers crossed.

Spectra20

Quick fix - wrap each short word in quotes - they count towards the five letter minimum :)

For instance, "ammo" "can" won't be rejected.

(edited for better example)

Domo!!!

Cool Tip! Didn't know!

iPad = Error

Will try "iPad", and also the Google method.

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

The google search can get the job done, but it's not nearly as effective as a good forum search tool. A google search doesn't catch everything, returns duplicates, and doesn't properly sort the results.

Apart from the sorting, I've never had an issue with using Google to search forums. If anything, it tends to be better than the simple searching done by most forum software. Just a matter of tweaking your queries a bit to make the most of Google's abilities.