Stupid Intersection Benchmark Question

Borst68

Greetings all, I am new at this Geocaching/benchmarking thing. My question is on intersection benchmarks (spires, towers, et.al). From the FAQ..

Logging Intersection Stations

Unless (in very unusual cases) the description says that there is a benchmark disk, surveying nail, or other small object that can't be seen from the ground, the top of the tower, steeple, or smokestack is the station. Do not climb it. Simply log your find, and if you have a digital camera, take the structure's picture from the ground.

My question is, what do I do with the picture once I have taken it? I looked for an option to upload a photo when logging a benchmark but I could not find one. Just not sure of the procedure for this. TIA

I am new to the whole geocaching/benchmarking thing too but will try to answer.

When you log your benchmark find that is a rod or disk use 'found it'. When you log your benchmark find that is a cupola, dome or tower use 'write note'.

In both cases after you log your find there is a button, (upper right) on your log page to upload photos.

For logging on the geocaching site, use FOUND IT regardless of what kind of object it is, providing that you have carefully checked that it is unambiguously the object described.

Being sure it is the right object can be trickier than it looks. Just because you find a water tank in a small town, it still might not be the one that was there in 1934 as described on the data sheet. Check the position is within the accuracy of your handheld unit, the shape of tank, number of legs, etc. and if there is one the date on a plaque fastened to the tank. A church may have been rebuilt with a spire in a different place.

The same goes for anything in the benchmark list. Just because you found a disk doesn't mean it is the right disk. Check the stamping, and note that station JONES is not the same as JONES RM1 or JONES AZ. Likewise X 123 RESET should not be logged for X 123.

Edited by Bill93