droid geocaching basics

I am going crazy trying to simply download a cache to my motorola droid. I have the app geobeaqle but cannot get a cache site from geocaching to my phone. I have tried the loc. file download along with "to phone". HELP.

;)

Actually it's easier than you think, but it's a bit different, because it uses the web pages, and sets up GeoBeagle as a 'provider'. Here's the steps in short form:

1. At the main page, click 'Geocaching.com'. It will navigate to a web page that shows caches based on your current location, by distance. To be able to see it, zoom in by double-tapping on the page, be sure you don't tap on a link.

2. Select one that you'd like to search for. It will navigate to the web page for that cache. You will be able to review the cache, read the logs, and so on. Now it's time to get to the navigation part, and this is probably what's confusing you. Scroll down to the section of the page with the heading 'For online maps...'. Select 'Google Maps'. A window will open titled 'Complete Action Using', showing several options. Choose 'GeoBeagle'.

3. Welcome to the navigation screen. Follow the arrow to the cache, you've got that cache loaded to GeoBeagle now, it will show up on the cache list until you delete it. If you've got GPS Toolbox installed (I highly recommend), you can tap the compass to get a more detailed compass. From here, you can hit the menu button and see the cache on Google Maps, log finds or DNFs with SMS messages, and so on.

Hope that helps!! I personally prefer CacheMate these days (I can drop a PQ into that), but I'm really looking forward to the 'official' GC app.

Edited by gatoller

Can we get an official "Geocaching for Android" forum under Groundspeak forums so we can stop using the GPS /iPhone/Wherigo hardware forums?

It's bound to happen eventually and right now I'm tracking 3-4 different forums, 10 or more threads, for the same subject:"Geocaching for Android"

Edited by JohnE5

Can we get an official "Geocaching for Android" forum under Groundspeak forums so we can stop using the GPS /iPhone/Wherigo hardware forums?

It's bound to happen eventually and right now I'm tracking 3-4 different forums, 10 or more threads, for the same subject:"Geocaching for Android"

Seconding this.

While I do still have my old eTrex/Palm quasi-paperless system working, I can definitely see my Droid becoming my go-to device for casual caching (I rarely have time to go after high difficulty/terrain caches). And with the official Android GC app coming soon, it would be nice to have a forum for related discussion.

Seconding this.

While I do still have my old eTrex/Palm quasi-paperless system working, I can definitely see my Droid becoming my go-to device for casual caching (I rarely have time to go after high difficulty/terrain caches). And with the official Android GC app coming soon, it would be nice to have a forum for related discussion.

Agreed. Androids outsold Iphones q4 2009 and q1 2010. With some of the devices coming out this quarter, I don't think anything will change. It won't be long before Droid has iphone beat in overall market. If this forum works like the one I am admin on, it would be about 10 keystrokes to make this happen.

Seconding this.

Agreed. Androids outsold Iphones q4 2009 and q1 2010. With some of the devices coming out this quarter, I don't think anything will change. It won't be long before Droid has iphone beat in overall market. If this forum works like the one I am admin on, it would be about 10 keystrokes to make this happen.

Yeah, i just tried to ask some open questions about having a dedicated Android sticky and some questions about the long awaited "official" Geocaching.com Android app and my thread got closed.

Seems a bit random that with so many people asking about it in so many different postings that a sticky with updates would make perfect sense.

Most forums i take part in listen to their users and make changes accordingly.