Reverse Benchmark Hunting

ALKaren

While out looking around at DeSoto State Park in Fort Payne, AL, we found a benchmark! I held my GPS directly over it and took the coordinates... N34 21.844 W85 39.782. However, when I did a search...nothing showed up at these coordinates within 2 miles! Any suggestions? I have a picture of the benchmark too.

Topographical maps of that spot a benchmark there. If your mark is stamped 1178 feet elevation, then that's what you found. There are lots of those marks out there that aren't included in the database that geocaching.com uses, so they can't be directly logged on the geocaching website.

Could be a State Highway Benchmark from where your coords place it. What was the marker? Was there anything stamped on it?

Cheers,

Panda Inc.

While out looking around at DeSoto State Park in Fort Payne, AL, we found a benchmark! I held my GPS directly over it and took the coordinates... N34 21.844 W85 39.782. However, when I did a search...nothing showed up at these coordinates within 2 miles! Any suggestions? I have a picture of the benchmark too.

Topographical maps of that spot a benchmark there. If your mark is stamped 1178 feet elevation, then that's what you found. There are lots of those marks out there that aren't included in the database that geocaching.com uses, so they can't be directly logged on the geocaching website.

Yes, it's stamped 1178 for elevation. Where did you find topo maps?