Smoky Mountain Day Hikes

I'm heading to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in a few months. Any particular do not miss day hikes I should know about? We are staying in Gatlinburg. My wife and I are in reasonably good shape, so elevation gain and distance are not an issue. Thanks. Oh, and of course, any do not miss caches to look for?

The key is to focus on a few spots -- GSM is a very big park and there is limited access to the interior of the park. No realistic way to "see it all". To get anywhere most often involves driving around the park rather than through. And you won't be alone -- expect lots of traffic in the summer months.

The Cades Cove area has lots of trails and gives you an idea what the area looked like before the park was created.

http://www.cadescove.net/hiking_cades_cove.html

The Deep Creek Loop Trail is very nice (but the trailhead is a bit of a trek from Gatlinburg). While in the area, check out Fontana Dam if you are into that sort of thing.

The Chimney Tops Trail is practically obligatory. It's a short trail but fairly steep. Great view, and a climbing challenge if you want to actually go to the tops (a tricky scramble across walls of slate, with nasty drop-offs either side).

Give yourself lots of time. Just the views from the roads are spectacular, and you might spend more time than you planned pulling off at the numerous waysides. You won't have quite as good of a view from most of the walking trails due to heavy vegetation (trees and what is referred to as "heath" -- thick patches of flowering rhododendrum).

Edited by MikeB3542

I think probably the best two hikes in my opinion are Charlies Bunion and The hike to Leconte Lodge.Charlies Bunion has the virtue of good parking and you get to see a good mix of what the GSM are famous for ( AT trail shelter ,possible bear activity and the reward of a fantastic view ).Leconte parking ( at the Alum Cave Bluffs trailhead ) is ok if you start before 8:00 A.M. or earlier and there are fantastic views to be had along with towering heights. Leconte is the longer hike but can be done in a day .I am overweight somewhat but i can manage either hike without too much difficulty.Going to the GSM this weekend.

my gf and i stayed in Gatlin last summer on a washout of a backpacking trip. headin back down to GSM this summer again. lots of fun. gonna be in the NC area as apposed to TN. doin a 3day loop around mt. sterling via big creek. i really like Cosby and henwallow falls. laurel falls was nice but crowded.

I think probably the best two hikes in my opinion are Charlies Bunion and The hike to Leconte Lodge.Charlies Bunion has the virtue of good parking and you get to see a good mix of what the GSM are famous for ( AT trail shelter ,possible bear activity and the reward of a fantastic view ).Leconte parking ( at the Alum Cave Bluffs trailhead ) is ok if you start before 8:00 A.M. or earlier and there are fantastic views to be had along with towering heights. Leconte is the longer hike but can be done in a day .I am overweight somewhat but i can manage either hike without too much difficulty.Going to the GSM this weekend.

I did both hikes last summer and they are excellent. Mount Le Conte especially. As you get toward the top you'll find a flower called the grass of parnassus that only grows in that one place in the world. On the way down from Charlies bunion (we stayed in the shelter overnight) we saw a wee bear. Was extremely happy.

Tremont stop by here and go to the falls trail. It's not super long but you can get up close to the falls. This is open to the public even though it is mainly private for the activities. There are also several other major trails in this area just can't think of them off the top of my head. If you do any night hiking just watch out for the park hog hunters because those boys are packing some major fire power. Cades cove is always a must for the GSM.

Fortunately, I got to live in Townsend for a few years. I have not hiked all 800 miles of trail in the park but have logged over half of it.

The two things I always ask when recommending a hike is "what time of year" and "how far do you want to hike in a day". I hear people say elevation gain is not a problem, but the haul from Gatlinburg to Mt. LaConte past Rainbow falls will tax even the stout at heart.

If you are going to be there in June/July, I would go high and remote. The Rhodo's in bloom on Gregory's Bald is something everyone ought to see once in their life. In April, I would say not to pass up White Oak Sinks. One of, if not the most, picturesque spot in the Park, IMHO. Chimney Tops, Bunion, and even LeConte will be the most crowded along with Andrew's Bald. However, there are several great hikes out of Cataloochee where the great odds are you won't see anyone.

If you want some good views of Cades Cove, you can find them from along Rich Mtn Loop and Indian Grave Gap trails.

History? I would take a boat across Fontana and hike the Hazel Creek area. The shuttle is a little pricey though.

I don't think there are any bad hikes in the Smokies, it's just that some are better than others. Good Luck and have fun.

I am going back the 1st week in june. The wife broke her ankle 3 weeks ago so i don't think we will get much hiking in.I guess it depends on how her ankle is doing.I think she might manage a short hike without any severe terrain.I will have to do some research.